Dandelion wine

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Well we are on our way to getting some dandelion wine made.
Its brewing in the barrel now and will be transferred to the demijohns in the next couple of days.
Just got to keep my mitts off it till its done.
Give it a few weeks in the DJ's then into bottles, then comes the really hard bit...........

Not drinking it for 9 yes 9 months.

The reciepe says that it will mature and taste lush if i can wait.

Next to be put on will be some mead but i dont know if i have the resolve to mature it for 3 years. I will struggle with 3 days :rolleyes:
I will let you know how it turns out and if my reslove holds out :lmao:

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Collect enought flowers to fill 2 pints with just the yellow petals.
Then mix them in with 4 pints of boiling water.
mash up the petals with a spoon and stir daily for about 4 days.
Disolve 2 table spoons of citric acid and 2 lb (1KG) of sugar in 2 pints of boiling water, making it into a fine syrup.
Strain the flower water then mix it with the syrup (when its cool).
Add 1 pint of grape fruit juice concentrate 1/2 tsp tannin (we used a tea bag :rolleyes: ). A general purpose yeast and a nutrient tablet.
Wait for it to ferment should take a couple of weeks in the barrel then transfer it to the demi-johns.

Thats where we are at the moment with it . I would love to take credit for the reciepe but it came from an old wine making book called
Boots home wine making and brewing by B.C.A Turner. Its a great litle book.

People get all precious about brewing and you just dont need to. If you have never done it just get stuck in and have a go. If it goes wrong so what, you will have learnt something for next time. Some of the best things i have made should have gone wrong.
Mead next !!!! :rolleyes:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
firebreather said:
Collect enought flowers to fill 2 pints with just the yellow petals.
Then mix them in with 4 pints of boiling water.
mash up the petals with a spoon and stir daily for about 4 days.
Disolve 2 table spoons of citric acid and 2 lb (1KG) of sugar in 2 pints of boiling water, making it into a fine syrup.
Strain the flower water then mix it with the syrup (when its cool).
Add 1 pint of grape fruit juice concentrate 1/2 tsp tannin (we used a tea bag :rolleyes: ). A general purpose yeast and a nutrient tablet.
Wait for it to ferment should take a couple of weeks in the barrel then transfer it to the demi-johns.

Thats where we are at the moment with it . I would love to take credit for the reciepe but it came from an old wine making book called
Boots home wine making and brewing by B.C.A Turner. Its a great litle book.

People get all precious about brewing and you just dont need to. If you have never done it just get stuck in and have a go. If it goes wrong so what, you will have learnt something for next time. Some of the best things i have made should have gone wrong.
Mead next !!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers Greg. I did cider a few weeks back thanks to input from British Red and that eventually turned out nice (and strong) and I had deviated from the original recipe by adding honey.

I've currently got some nettle beer fermenting in the brew bin but didn't follow any one recipe to the letter - all my weights and measures were either approximate or whatever I had. I need to rack that off into demijohns soon as it's been sat for a week (or is it two?) and most recipies called for like 3 days.

So no, I'm not a precious brewer by any means :lmao:

I've got a bazillion dandelions on the allotment so looks like that will be next up.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Good stuff. we will have to get together for an appreciation of each others fine beverages :D when they are ready ( if i can keep my hands off mine :lmao: )

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
firebreather said:
Good stuff. we will have to get together for an appreciation of each others fine beverages :D when they are ready ( if i can keep my hands off mine :lmao: )

Too right, thing is I have the same problem as you in that it tends to erm... 'evaporate' far to quickly :lmao:

We will need to plan a brew to coincide with the next meet we can both make.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
matt-w said:
Too right, thing is I have the same problem as you in that it tends to erm... 'evaporate' far to quickly :lmao:

We will need to plan a brew to coincide with the next meet we can both make.

Mine gets sent away for testing.......on and intensive basis :rolleyes:

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
I've been put off by making mead beacuse of the time you have to wait before guzzling although i did buy some nice stuff from a farm shop in devon last summer whilst on holiday...
My nettle beer has been bottled now and i will be trying it on my next day off work!

If either of you are coming to the spring bushmoot then you are welcome to try some plum wine my dad gave me a couple of weeks ago, he was clearing out the loft and found it. He had made some ten years ago and a couple of bottles had hidden from him.

Him and my mum drank one of them and said it tasted like brandy and got them ****** on a glass, so i'm looking forward to that! :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:lmao: One glass ey Richie?

Unfortunately work has interfered with the spring moot and I'm on-call :( but I am booked off work for the main summer moot so if you don't sup it all by then I'm yer man :D

What exactly are you using to bottle the nettle beer? I'm thinking 2Ltr plastic pop bottles for mine?

Richie O said:
I've been put off by making mead beacuse of the time you have to wait before guzzling although i did buy some nice stuff from a farm shop in devon last summer whilst on holiday...
My nettle beer has been bottled now and i will be trying it on my next day off work!

If either of you are coming to the spring bushmoot then you are welcome to try some plum wine my dad gave me a couple of weeks ago, he was clearing out the loft and found it. He had made some ten years ago and a couple of bottles had hidden from him.

Him and my mum drank one of them and said it tasted like brandy and got them ****** on a glass, so i'm looking forward to that! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I need to get started soon! I got some stuff off of freecycle, the bin was scratched to death and very gunky so I'm not bothering with that, but three of the four demijohns are in A1 condition, the fourth has a cracked handle that is rather sharp, so I'll use that for racking of sediment or whatever. The pressure barrel is a bit mucky on the outside but good on the inside so I need some tubing and airlocks and a bin and I'm away. They were cheap in Wilkinsons a few weeks back so I may go and have another look!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
spamel said:
I need to get started soon! I got some stuff off of freecycle, the bin was scratched to death and very gunky so I'm not bothering with that, but three of the four demijohns are in A1 condition, the fourth has a cracked handle that is rather sharp, so I'll use that for racking of sediment or whatever. The pressure barrel is a bit mucky on the outside but good on the inside so I need some tubing and airlocks and a bin and I'm away. They were cheap in Wilkinsons a few weeks back so I may go and have another look!

Good man,

Are you going 'wild' or do you fancy some kit stuff?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
matt-w said:

There's a very simple solution to that problem - you're not making enough! ;)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
firebreather said:
Give it a few weeks in the DJ's then into bottles, then comes the really hard bit...........

Not drinking it for 9 yes 9 months.

The reciepe says that it will mature and taste lush if i can wait.

You could give it a name and talk about it like it's your child ! Everyday, sing lullabies and stick your ear on the barrel to hear it "come alive"... Perhaps it will motivate you to wait :D

"We are so lucky, we expect it in Febuary next year"

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
matt-w said:
What exactly are you using to bottle the nettle beer? I'm thinking 2Ltr plastic pop bottles for mine?

I recommend going out on the razz with some friends on a Grolsch only night and keep the bottles.
:D

They're ideal!

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
fredcraft said:
You could give it a name and talk about it like it's your child ! Everyday, sing lullabies and stick your ear on the barrel to hear it "come alive"... Perhaps it will motivate you to wait :D

"We are so lucky, we expect it in Febuary next year"

Its already named.........fox piddle as the foxes run all over the field where i collected them from :lmao: and i think it will be an early birth :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE