Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/swissspice/

swissspice001%20003340.jpg

I've got one of these as a present.

They've got o-rings. B)

I'm a sucker for these things, somehow always forgotten to take it into the field though.

End up taking those little salt packets that come with takeaway food.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I think it's mostly a problem of the salt being too finely ground, and the holes in the salt shaker being so small that they only let through the very small grains.

I saw this problem of caked salt in England as a kid (despite having a couple of grains of rice in the salt pot), but almost never these days and the only reason I can think of is that it's because we tend to use really coarse sea salt and put it in a grinder like whole peppercorns.

Right now, I have a clay pot in the kitchen full of very coarse salt. The lid is by no means airtight, the salt's been there for at least three months (possible much, much longer as it was left by the owner who is renting me the house), and there is no trace of caking.

If the problem is with fine salt caking when out in the bush, I suggest taking coarse sal. And if a grinder is too bulky and heavy to take along, you can crush it in between two titanium sporks.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Are you talking about taking salt out and about? If so you can measure set amounts and put in extra wide plastic straws and melt close each end? 100% water tight.

Steve.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Salt flakes is the way to go! If it does get damp who cares just dry it next to the camp fire crush it up and through it in/on ya food. Don't forget to much is bad for you anyway.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Go for a salt horn, I loaded mine with flaked sea salt when I finished it over two years back and that still pours fine

SaltHornFinished.jpg

SaltHornFinishedDetail.jpg

The only thing that's gone wrong with it is the resin and charcoal glue has flaked off where the brass pouring spout goes into the main bit of horn. It's not effected the air tightness of it but if anyone can spare a little bit of resin glue ( I just mixed some willow charcoal with purified resin, no dried horse poo or owt else) that works I'd be profoundly grateful

Apart from that very easy to make, the cap can be just a peg in a hole but you do get a really good fit if you file some teeth into the end of the tube you want to use and clamp that into the chuck of a drill

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE