Damp salt

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sodium Chloride is very hydroscopic as we all know.

How do you store it so it doesnt get soggy? Im tired of those little sachets getting wet in a perfectly dry waterproof container and messing up my other condiments

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dry them off really well first, and then store them by themselves in mini press/zip bags beside the other condiments.
It's the only way I've found to keep them from soaking everything else.
I lay them out on top of the radiator for a couple of hours to dry mine.

cheers,
M

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
It's actually hygroscopic not hydro

just store it in something where atmosphere can't get at it, push out the atmosphere with OFN oxygen free nitrogen ( used frequently by preppers in food storage) and limit the number of times you open the container, avoid it at all ideally.

if the hygroscopic material is exposed to the atmosphere it will take on the moisture,

Split your materials into smaller containers and only break the seal when required.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you store in a cellar, add a few grains of rice. The rice absorbs water and breaks up any clumps when shaken. For the sachets paint with meted wax.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cain't remember what they're called but those suck and seal bags for dehydrated and frozen foods?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I lived on Cyprus every salt pot you used had more rice than salt in and it had still caked :(

Dry room or cupboard and you should not have any problems really. Is your house damp Tengu?

Being Hygroscopic and thus deliquescent in nature you need to keep damp away poppet.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I keep my house salt in kilner jars and occasionally dry it out on the iron stove top.

If travelling then film jars work well, bit of rice if needed.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Sodium Chloride is very hydroscopic as we all know.

How do you store it so it doesnt get soggy? Im tired of those little sachets getting wet in a perfectly dry waterproof container and messing up my other condiments

Not very often you eat grains of dry salt, so dissolve it in water and keep it in a bottle. :)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I wonder if that's why the little sachets of salt you find in "Salt and Shake" crisps seem to be made from wax impregnated water? Or could it just be the fat from the crisps?
:dunno:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What about not worrying about the salt getting damp if it's in sachets already? Unless you're cooking chips do you really need to sprinkle it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE