Damascus Blade Knife for a pretty good price on Amazon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
So learned chums. Have I bought a pup? The order can still be canned. Would this be my best option?

Windy

If it were me knowing what i now know i would cancel. If it is Mr noble the very fact he has yet another company name should tell you all you need to know. On the flip side the knives are 'safe' if not brilliant. Indian / Pakistani craftsmen are generally well respected in the way they put things together, its just a little rough in the finish. The real downer is the quality of the steel imo. I know not what it is but a bit of battoning affects mine a lot more than my cheap mora.

If it were me knowing what i now know i would cancel. If it is Mr noble the very fact he has yet another company name should tell you all you need to know. On the flip side the knives are 'safe' if not brilliant. Indian / Pakistani craftsmen are generally well respected in the way they put things together, its just a little rough in the finish. The real downer is the quality of the steel imo. I know not what it is but a bit of battoning affects mine a lot more than my cheap mora.

Thanks for the advice. Duly taken. Order cancelled. Email confirmation was indeed signed off with an Asian signature.

Thanks folks. Good lesson learned. PK1 it is then.

For sale. 4 daughters, very good price. :)

Windy

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
They look like something Mr Nobel would knock out, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Bing! We have a winner.

Take a look at the reviews - especially from a certain 'Ronin' from Devon. Then look at Ronin's other reviews - 13 in total, and apparently he has bought 6 Bushcraft knives, from either
Lake District Bushcraft or Perkins Bushcraft. And this - "The embossed logo "William Rodgers I Cut My Way" is obviously a testament to the original William Rodgers of Sheffield" smells fishy to me.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
This is well worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. It explains what damascus is, alongside the crucible steel they make to make the Ulfberht sword with. :)
Damascus is mentioned on 22 minutes.

[video=youtube;0FsfV5A6ktk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsfV5A6ktk[/video]

Got a link to that info as its contrary to what I've read so far, not saying its wrong by the way but I'm pretty sure Jim Hrisoulas's books say otherwise.

Last edited:

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
True damascus steel isn't pattern welded at all. It has a surface pattern caused by crystaline carbide formations or somesuch. :) No one knows how to make it anymore. It gets its name from the place it was made. Something to aim for perhaps :)

someone has rediscovered how to make true watered steel!! using wootz ingots of some sort and adding varying percentages of different elements. If you search ' The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades' by a guy called J.D. Verhoeven you'll see an interesting and detailed article on how he replicated wootz steel

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
ive knew someone who purchased a very similar looking damasc style knife from ebay and although it looked lovely, it could'nt hold an edge worth cutting butter with!! it was truly terrible and was soft as sh** the knifes in the pictures look exactly the same and the prices are way too good to be true so id stay away far far away

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
True Damascus was analysed and found to contain carbon nanotubes - the same material that is the number one contender for building a viable space elevator and the current cutting edge of materials science!

Somehow the craftsmen in Damascus stumbled upon a materials technology 100s (or 1000s?) of years ahead of its time. Its a great shame the technique has been lost.

Best modern guess is it is something to do with the annealing process, but also the introduction of trace elements of tungsten and vanadium - which I might add are also advanced materials technology only rediscovered in the last century.

Contrary to our often touted modern smugness, the ancients were not stupid.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE