Damascus Blade Knife for a pretty good price on Amazon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
H'mm, if it's too good to be true..............................

Poor grammar on their site also makes me a little wary.

H'mm, if it's too good to be true..............................

Poor grammar on their site also makes me a little wary.

Was suspicious too so looked at Anazon stats. See below. Will find out soon cause I bought one.

Windy
Amazon.co.uk

Perkins Bushcraft Outlet
Feedback
4.8 stars over seller's existence
(147 ratings)

Count: Last 30 days
Positive: 85%
Neutral: 12%
Negative: 3%
Feedback Rating:: 34

Count: Last 90 days
Positive: 94%
Neutral: 5%
Negative: 1%
Feedback Rating:: 77

Count: Last 365 days
Feedback Rating:: 146

Count: Lifetime
Feedback Rating:: 147

About Seller
Returns
Shipping Rates
A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee Protection
Contact this seller

Sent frae ma iPhone using Tapatalk

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
  • Business Name: Perkin Knives Limited
  • Business Type: Collectiables
  • Trade Register Number: 07812890
  • Customer Services Address:
    • 1A- Electric Prade
    • Seven kings Road
    • Ilford
    • Essex
    • IG3 8BY
    • GB
  • Business Address:
    • 1A- Electric Prade
    • Seven kings Road
    • Ilford
    • Essex
    • IG3 8BY
    • GB

Above copied from Amazon

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a damas blade by mr noble. Its not fallen apart yet. Doesnt hold an edge well though and the finish is a bit rough on the scales

20121022_181959-1.jpg

20121022_182015.jpg

Not the best £60 i ever spent but i will just abuse it till it dies

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Damascus aint even damascus :)

OK, what I really should have said was pattern welded but I couldn't be trashed. That was lazy language on my part.

Yes I do understand that pattern welded blades have been developed by many differing cultures and that Damascus was just a trading place for some of it.

Anyway, I'd still be interested in what steels were used in those knives and also in something more than just unfounded opinion on the steel.
Possibly some info on the heat treatment as well.

I'm in no way shape or form affiliated to the maker or seller by the way, just interested in impartial and scientific testing and really do dislike anecdotal evidence being presented as empirical facts, that goes for knife testing, homoeopathic remedies, testing posh spanners compared to less expensive ones and impact testing of motorcycle helmets.

Just wondering about what they are made of, also what the company is like to deal with and really not too bothered about where they are made.

I'm not after one by the way, just interested, that's all.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
just interested in impartial and scientific testing and really do dislike anecdotal evidence being presented as empirical facts

Im sorry to disappoint you that i can offer no scientific data to back up my claim that the steel doesnt hold an edge well other than my anecdotal observation that im constantly having to sharpen it compared to my other knives. You seem to dislike quite a lot on here, im surprised you stay.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
True damascus steel isn't pattern welded at all. It has a surface pattern caused by crystaline carbide formations or somesuch. :) No one knows how to make it anymore. It gets its name from the place it was made. Something to aim for perhaps :)

OK, what I really should have said was pattern welded but I couldn't be trashed. That was lazy language on my part.

Yes I do understand that pattern welded blades have been developed by many differing cultures and that Damascus was just a trading place for some of it.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Im sorry to disappoint you that i can offer no scientific data to back up my claim that the steel doesnt hold an edge well other than my anecdotal observation that im constantly having to sharpen it compared to my other knives. You seem to dislike quite a lot on here, im surprised you stay.

Not having a go about your very real experience of the knife you bought actually, was just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff as far as the opinions were concerned.
The ones that have a fully formed opinion without ever having on in their hand I'm struggling to believe, that's all.

Even if there was a link to a thread that went into detail about them? Anyone?

To put this slightly into context there's another forum I sometimes go on that seems well populated with people who think Snap On makes the best everything, ever.
Now I firmly believe that they make some very good quality items, but to say that the logo is an instant proof that its the absolute best thing ever is a bit much for me to swallow. Especially as they subcontract some of their toolmaking out to other companies anyway.

Me leave? Don't be silly, I don't do flouncing off.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
True damascus steel isn't pattern welded at all. It has a surface pattern caused by crystaline carbide formations or somesuch. :) No one knows how to make it anymore. It gets its name from the place it was made. Something to aim for perhaps :)

Got a link to that info as its contrary to what I've read so far, not saying its wrong by the way but I'm pretty sure Jim Hrisoulas's books say otherwise.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Got a link to that info as its contrary to what I've read so far, not saying its wrong by the way but I'm pretty sure Jim Hrisoulas's books say otherwise.

I haven't got a link but he's right. It was originally a smelted steel.

However, development and change of language over time - I would say pattern welded steel is damascus by the very nature of everyone adopting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE