Dalby Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about heading up to the Dalby Forest in North Yorkshire for a spot of Autumn wild camping. Does anyone have any experience of it? I know it's operated by the forestry commission, and they tend to be quite strict about bushcrafting, but I wondered if anyone knew of any areas where a Leave-no-trace approach would win some sympathy.
As always any advice or suggestions are most welcome.

Josh

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Its quite a popular mountain biking location so you may have a lot of company, I've only been there on my bike so not sure if you would be able to find a quiet spot.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Dalby Forest is out of bounds for camping in any way. If you get caught then you'll be looking at either a fine or a telling off. THere have been a couple of organised Bushcraft weekends which a couple of members have gone on.
Quiet spots are pretty hard to find aswell as people live there and most of the out of the way spots are a fair hike which someone will see you trogging with a pack. I walked all the trails there in one day as a practice for a long distance hike and i got buzzed by FC people every hour!

You'll find that most people here will keep quiet about their own spots until you've posted a bit more fella. Nothing personal.
The Moors has a few areas but lack of trees is a problem if hammocking unless you hit Osmotherley way

Last edited:

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I was there on the mountainbike the other weekend - there were loads of boletes around if you had time to stop and look. I was whizzing past at about 15mph for most of it....

Rat

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
HI everyone,

I'm also looking for somewhere in or around Dalby, or York area for a chance to practice my bushcraft and general hammocking!
would really appreciate any help or suggestions!

thanks, Joel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE