North York moors planning - Looking for advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2015
United Kingdom
Me and my friend are looking to plan a two night trip this october. Originally we planned to go to scotland but that idea soon fizzled out because late autumn in scottland is not going to be as pleasant or safe as somewhere closer to home. We are managing to get practice in near home but we want to go somewhere larger where we can camp for more than one night.

North York moors looks good by map, plenty of forest in areas west of Harwood dale but I don't think looking at OS maps and google earth is giving me the best idea on where to go. I am looking for advice on where to go in this area. Has anyone here been to this area and where did they go? Could you point me in the direction of landowners i could speak to or public land that i wont have a problem on. I'm looking at quite a large area but want a more specific plan. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

I'm looking at dalby forest which has been mentioned on this forum quite a few times but i am unsure about whether i will be able to do this. I want to be able to light a fire and i want to be able to stay over night. Anyone been to dalby?

thank you

Last edited:

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I don't think the Forestry Commission allow camping ( overt or covert ) within Dalby Forest . Its a big site so you might fly under the radar although there are staff and rangers on site with some living in forestry commission cottages but being located could cause you to be moved on . I suspect a fire ( however well managed) might not go down to well .

Have a look at local scout sites ( not sure where in North Yorkshire) and contact them , I have stayed on a view , they are large sites , usually wooded and actively encourage ( responsible ) fires.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE