Daily Supplementation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
10 micrograms of Vitamin D daily is recommended dose for most people.
100 micrograms could be harmful.

Yeah you're right, I remembered the figures for something else. Although I do seem to only find half dose vit d locally. Can't get to pharmacists that stock vitamins locally so it's basically Tesco's only. The local one only has half dose. I'm a strict follower of medicine instructions and that's flowed into vitamins so of it says one half dose vitamin d tablet it's against habit to go against. I know of case of someone nearly dying by going over the dose of otc medication.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I really don't want osteoporosis,
In areas where natto is used osteoporosis is practically unknown, it is vitamin K2 that is the reason, apparently it works well with D3 to keep one's skeleton together.

Due to some problems I eat multimineral and -vitamins and a pure amino acid cocktail. Keeps me going.

Reactions: GreyCat and Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’ve had various supplements recommended by different doctors over the years. My optometrist recommended:
-selenium
-manganese
-molibdinum (spelling?-others I can’t remember at the moment
Instead of getting them individually I started taking a multivitamin capsule.

Next neurologist recommended mega dose of vitamim E to protect my liver (I have fatty liver)so I added that.

Then the surgeon that scoped my knee (scraped the cartilage) recommended the glucosamine/chondroitin so I added that. After a while I didn’t think I was noticing any improvement so I stopped. That was a mistake: whileI hadn’t noticed an improvement (it had been too gradual) I almost instantly noticed degradation when I stopped.

My podiatrist recommended vitamin B Complex for my neuropathy. At first he had me on one that was only available by prescription but the pharmacies no longer stock it so I get it over the counter

My diabetes nurse recommended fish oil and gave me a prescription for it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I might add that the old advise “It can’t hurt” isn’t necessarily true though. Always let your doctor know what supplements you’re taking, particularly if he/she schedules you for a procedure or surgical operation (they’ve always had me stop the vitamin E and the fish oil several day’s prior to any surgery) Also some supplements might have an adverse reaction with other drugs you’ve been prescribed.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Soluble multi-vit every morning. Soluble as it makes me drink a pint of water after my morning coffee which is a bonus in its self. They arent bad tasting these days either, quite like them now to be honest :)
40+

Reactions: TeeDee

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
One thing I used to take was malt extract. Just a teaspoonful a day. I also had one with added cod liver oil. You cant taste it, I promise!
Nowadays I take vitamins, c, d, e, zinc, iron, garlic oil, and extra raw veg on my plate.
Raw onion, red cabbage, and carrot , and /or or salad leaves (spinach, watercress and rocket) with every meal, either as a coleslaw or, just as a veg accomplament. Cooking veg can destroy some goodness, so I often have raw veg...except potatoes! they definitely need cooking!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I live in a small town with a small boots, Tesco's, aldi, booths and a couple of small pharmacies. Not one have much in the way of vitamins. In these times of global pandemic I really don't want to visit the nearby city for superdrug. I probably have to order online grin boots and get them sent to my local store instead.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Superdrug will post to you, and if the order is over £10, the postage is free.
The link I put up is to their online site.

I have shopped almost exclusively online since the first lock down.

M

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I take a multivit daily, with breakfast. Which is the same every work day of the week.

Coffee, multigrain cereal and poached eggs and a litre of water.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Superdrug will post to you, and if the order is over £10, the postage is free.
The link I put up is to their online site.

I have shopped almost exclusively online since the first lock down.

M
Oh! Didn't spot that. Thanks for the clarification.

I've got to get stuff for the dog this weekend and the pet store is not too far from an Asda I believe their vitamins shelves are well stocked. If not I'll try a superdrug shop

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Asda's about the best price we found, but our local one doesn't always have them all in stock and since I've only been buying online I can't check the shelves and see for myself what they might have that's not on the website.
I hope your's has a better range than ours :)

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our commercial milk (the milk in regular shops and supermarkets) has viatmain D added but generally milkcomsumption (like sun exposure) has taken a downturn in the last few decades.

A quick reminder of something Isaid upthread, make sure you doctors know of all the supplements you take. I believe I originally mentioned it regarding their need to know due to interactions with whatever they might prescribe. However Iwas reminded before a recent surgery that they also need to know what to tell you to stop prior to a surgery. In my case it was all supplements in general but vitamin E and Fish Oils in particular (Please don’t ask me why; I really don’t know)

The surgery was to repair a compressed ulnar nerve and was done this past Wednesday

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I recently started taking Vitamin D again as some blood tests came back showing it was slightly reduced. Will probably just do it by default over autumn/winter now.

My Dad’s got mid-late stage vascular dementia and I very much don’t want to go down that road.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE