Daily Supplementation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just curious as to what daily OTC Vitamin / Mineral / Other supplementation people here take on a semi regular basis ?

So as an example do you take in additional Vitamin C or D ? Fish Oil etc

( I appreciate many will say with a balanced and healthy mixed diet that they believe for themselves additional supplementation is not required - thats fine , maybe for YOU , You are correct. I'm only interested in what supplements people DO take. Not why you feel for a myriad of reasons that you DON'T need them - Thank You. )

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't eat much fruit (it upsets me) so I take 1000mg of vit C a day and have done for about 15 years. In that time I've not had a cold or flue whereas I used to get annual tonsillitis type infections.

But that's the only one.

Oh, interestingly, I used to always have warts on my fingers too - I've not had those in 15 years either.

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Take Vit D daily. Prescribed for 5? years.

The NHS recommends everyone taking Vit D, especially between October and early March as there is not enough sunlight.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't take anything regularly myself but we've got a Labrador that has had joint problems since she was a puppy and she's had a daily dose of Glucosamine. She's now quite old and the vets always seem surprised how mobile she's been. Certainly something I'll consider taking when I need to.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
B12 (I'm vegetarian)
That's one of the things I need to look in to as we move towards a more vegetarian/vegan diet. It's a bit more complicated as we grow much of our own food and living in a very wet part of the country much of the nutrients wash out of the soil so there may be minerals missing in our veg.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't take anything regularly myself but we've got a Labrador that has had joint problems since she was a puppy and she's had a daily dose of Glucosamine. She's now quite old and the vets always seem surprised how mobile she's been. Certainly something I'll consider taking when I need to.

I've had the cartilage of both knees 'trimmed' and when I asked the consultant if there was anything I could do to help the long-term situation (on the basis I had already stopped playing rugby :)) he said I could take Glucosamine; when I asked if that would do any good his reply was "it won't do any harm" - I never bothered!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I eat what comes into my brain and think that the appetite tells us pretty well what we need.

But I don't eat any pills and drugs of any kind.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cod liver oil.

(That contains vitamin D does it? Im not sure.

I eat a good varied diet and really have no belief in pills and potions, but more vitamin D is good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
B12, I'm vegetarian, and have been for most of my life. I am allergic to fish.
I do eat Marmite :) and I do like and eat nutritional yeast.
It's the one vitamin that vegetarians and especially vegans really cannot get otherwise.

Vitamin C is a necessity, it facilitates the uptake of iron for starters. In our climate, even eating kale, etc., daily, it's hard to get enough from our naturally grown in season foods. It is very easily lost with cooking too.

I'm a fair skinned, freckled, green eyed Scot with a lot of red (well I did, the red's mostly gone white) in my hair.
I do really, really notice a difference in myself when I take Vitamin D.
In our climate, frequently overcast and the bright yellow ball rarely in evidence, it's sensible.
I had a blood test that came back and my exceptionally low level of Vitamin D was sufficiently concerning that my Doctor phoned me and said that there was a prescription waiting for me to pick up from the Chemist.
I buy my own now, I reckon the NHS has enough to pay for without having to cover the cost of my vitamins too.

When I don't take glucosamine for a few weeks my joints genuinely stiffen up. I am very aware of my damaged joints (rheumatoid arthritis) and I notice changes in their flexibility. If I take glucosamine they don't go red hot and swollen unless I've put a lot of effort on them.

Vitamin E is an immune system boost. The capsules are also a really good additive in home made creams, lipsyls and the like too :)

I'm a post menopausal female and I really don't want osteoporosis, or dental decay, but I don't eat meat (so no bone broth) and I can't drink milk. I am lactose intolerant.
I do have a healthy diet, five at every meal is commonplace, and I do eat tofu made with accessible calcium. I do eat a wide variety of nuts too. It still needs the other minerals.

I think that last bit matters. I am who I am. Who are you ? what stage of life are you ? and how good is your diet/health ?

It's not rocket science, figure it out and make sure you're taking what is most likely to be lacking.

We do live a lot longer than even our own parents generation. Our life expectancy is very good, much better to have a healthy long life than one blighted by simply sorted lack.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
B12, I'm vegetarian, and have been for most of my life. I am allergic to fish.
I do eat Marmite :) and I do like and eat nutritional yeast.
It's the one vitamin that vegetarians and especially vegans really cannot get otherwise.

Vitamin C is a necessity, it facilitates the uptake of iron for starters. In our climate, even eating kale, etc., daily, it's hard to get enough from our naturally grown in season foods. It is very easily lost with cooking too.

I'm a fair skinned, freckled, green eyed Scot with a lot of red (well I did, the red's mostly gone white) in my hair.
I do really, really notice a difference in myself when I take Vitamin D.
In our climate, frequently overcast and the bright yellow ball rarely in evidence, it's sensible.
I had a blood test that came back and my exceptionally low level of Vitamin D was sufficiently concerning that my Doctor phoned me and said that there was a prescription waiting for me to pick up from the Chemist.
I buy my own now, I reckon the NHS has enough to pay for without having to cover the cost of my vitamins too.

When I don't take glucosamine for a few weeks my joints genuinely stiffen up. I am very aware of my damaged joints (rheumatoid arthritis) and I notice changes in their flexibility. If I take glucosamine they don't go red hot and swollen unless I've put a lot of effort on them.

Vitamin E is an immune system boost. The capsules are also a really good additive in home made creams, lipsyls and the like too :)

I'm a post menopausal female and I really don't want osteoporosis, or dental decay, but I don't eat meat (so no bone broth) and I can't drink milk. I am lactose intolerant.
I do have a healthy diet, five at every meal is commonplace, and I do eat tofu made with accessible calcium. I do eat a wide variety of nuts too. It still needs the other minerals.

I think that last bit matters. I am who I am. Who are you ? what stage of life are you ? and how good is your diet/health ?

It's not rocket science, figure it out and make sure you're taking what is most likely to be lacking.

We do live a lot longer than even our own parents generation. Our life expectancy is very good, much better to have a healthy long life than one blighted by simply sorted lack.

M

Very well composed and explained Toddy.
Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I usually buy from Healthspan, but Adsa and Lidl's both have decent vitamin and mineral ranges. Very reasonably priced too.
I can't say Healthspan is cheap, but when my children were young there weren't many folks who did the range they did in vegetarian friendly stuff.
Holland and Barret's penny sales are usually worth a look :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a good programme on TV over a year back in which a medical expert (possibly doctor or nutritionist) and journalist/TV presenter character flew around the world looking at how other cultures use food to get IIRC the 27 essential amino acids our bodies can't create only obtain from diet. It was very interesting and made me realise diet is so very important. I'm afraid it made me think more than ever humans are evolved to eat a wide variety of foods from meat to fruits, vegetables and fungi. Any one food type you take out means you're working that much harder to get everything your body needs. I prefer to make things easier for myself.

It was a very interesting programme and showed how cultures and communities around the world found interesting ways to obtain these missing amino acids. They went to a remote and very poor part of Bulgaria used milk and milk based products especially yoghurt to get one missing amino acid. Another section went to South or Central America to see how people ate a corn gone black with a fungal infections and inedible to Western eyes. That infection converted the building blocks of the corn to create a missing amino acid. A particularly hard one to get.

As to vitamins I'd say look at minerals and other essential components to your diet as well to get the most out of your body. To that end, and suspecting I wasn't getting what I needed with my diet, I started trying multi vitamins. I'd been told to take them as a kid because I didn't eat properly. No idea if they help but I found as an adult the multi vitamins targeted at men seemed to make me feel better through the day. Placebo or not I tried to keep taking them. Bought whichever make was on offer to save money. Tried ones for men, performance vitamins for men and they all seemed to result in a bit more energy to me. What I found confusing is how different brands supplied mostly the same vitamins and minerals in different doses. Why?

Right now I'm not taking them and feel lethargic through poor sleep habits and possibly lack of vitamins and minerals. I'm trying to find vitamin D in supermarkets and pharmacies near me but they've all sold out. I read over winter you need IIRC 400mg per day supplements of vitamin D but the only ones had half or quarter that dose. I wasn't sure whether to ignore the label and take two a day. Also curious about b12.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
10 micrograms of Vitamin D daily is recommended dose for most people.
100 micrograms could be harmful.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
RDA's of most stuff particularly minerals. To with the exception of a tin of sardines every morning for breakfast-something of which I have been doing for decades, I exist on a vegetarian diet.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i take wellman supplements at the moment (generally i take a multivitamin thats on offer in the chemist - not specifically wellman)

I cannot take the wellman on an empty stomach as they make me nauseous to the point of retching. I take after breakfast or after evening dinner

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE