Dabbling with leather.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I recently treated myself to a Mora spoon knife and then a Robin Wood carving axe, neither of which came with a covering. Being an enterprising sort of chappie I decided to have a crack at making them myself.
Having ordered a kilogram pack of leather offcuts and some waxed linen thread of ebay I was good to go and the following pics are the results.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

At this point my dear lady decided she wanted something too so I made her a phone case.
IMG_0789.jpg

My next project is a water bottle.
IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg
The beeswax for this should arrive today, at least that's what the courier said:sigh:

I think I've found myself a new hobby and now walk around the house looking at things and wondering if it would look nice with a leather coat.

What I've learnt from this ....... trying to melt the end of waxed linen thread will produce a nice if very short lived candle.

30 seconds ago
IMG_0796.jpg

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Is that your first crack at leatherwork, if so very well done, it's something I have been thinking of attempting, this might just give me the kick up the backside to do it :)

Thanks for sharing.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Yes bopdude it was my first go and thank you.

Definitely give it a try, getting offcuts from ebay and thread is relatively cheap for having a go. The only 'specialized' tool I used is a small U gouge from a wood carving set for the stitch grooving.
Burnishing the edges seemed a bit hit and miss, I don't know if it was different bits of leather, my homemade burnisher or my technique. The last 2 I suspect:)
I finished them with shoe polish and a coat of beeswax furniture polish.

And a big thank you to anybody who has ever posted a tutorial on the internet.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Thank you folks for your comments, very kind.

Carrying on I've decided to have a little go at tooling.
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg

I stuffed the bottle with small aquarium gravel and then ran into problems. The stitching went wonky around the edges. A large growth appeared on one side about the size of half a lemon and the tooling disappeared.
Emptying the bottle and re-stuffing it again with less pressure removed the growth but I reckon I lost about 25% volume. When it was dry I went over the tooling again.
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

Dunking it in beeswax was great fun even if the kitchen and every bit of cookware we possess now also has a liberal coating too.
Despite using a bain marie affair with the inside pan sitting on aluminium foil balls the leather marked where it touched bottom of the dish.
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg

It holds about 800ml, (would have been nice for it to be 1ltr,damn you lemon growth) and it doesn't leak. Woohoo.
I'm thinking a paracord strap with a piece of leather for a shoulder pad until I come up with something more inspired.

So far everything has been a great learning experience and I am quietly chuffed how it all turned out. Actually I'm sitting here with these bits spread out around me and stroking each of them in turn while occasionally cuddling the bottle.

Thanks for looking in :)

Oh, if anyone knows the reason for the wonky stitching, please do share.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE