D.I.Y Silnylon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
So,

If I was going get some material with a view to making my own Silnylon, AKA, in a bucket with the thinners / silicone mix,

What do you use? What kind?

cheers:)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've used fabsil before - can be expensive but awhile a go [quite a few years now] there was a bike [push bike] shop - I think it was called wiggles - which sold 5 litre cans reasonably. I have heard of people using brick and cement sealant, not used it myself, but apparently it works.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm wondering whether it could be sprayed on... must give it a go sometime, although I'm likely to cover everything in my garage with silicone! Must make some spray curtains

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
you can just use silicone sealant from B&Q, but it would be too thick to spray on. I keep meaning to make a tarp this way because silnylon is less common here.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
I'm wondering whether it could be sprayed on... must give it a go sometime, although I'm likely to cover everything in my garage with silicone! Must make some spray curtains

I've been thinking about the same thing.....
Surely if you thin it down enough, it would 'soak in' to the fabric if applied with the likes of an old Vanish/Flash et al-type spray bottle..??
I've an item I want to try it on, just not got around to it yet..... :rolleyes:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Just make sure you clean the spray thingy well afterwards or you'll end up with a very waterproof nozzle :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE