D Day Dakotas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Since we live more or less under the flight path of today's Dakota fly-over to commemorate the Normandy landings I thought I would go out to watch them.
As did just about every other bugger!
But they were delayed.
So I went home and we were lucky enough that they passed nearby where we live. Bit of a lob shot but I managed to get a couple.
Feel free to post your shots if you got any.

48008294718_5fab498144_c.jpg

48008287671_4e9308529f_c.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But not like the Dragon Rapide where a late friend I knew put her finger through the fuselage...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great photos.
Horrible planes to be a passenger in. Cold, incredibly noisy, creak..
Oh I don’t know. I flew on one from Rantoul, Illinois to Chicago as a passenger when Frontier Airlines was still flying them on short commuter hops in the 1970s. Some remote airlines still do even now.

Magnificent design. From the early 20th century and several are still flying scheduled service. It’s gonna be a hard record to beat.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I had to be flown in them in the Army, but then in '81 they bought a couple more Herculeses.
Jumping was much, much easier from a Hercules. rear exit.

If the pilot decided to increase the height of the C-46 suddenly, when a jump was happening, you could end up tangled in the rear wheel.
We were told you could then also hit the rear horizontal stabilisator, we were trained to exit it in a special way if the weather was bumpy.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only cargo drops and HALO jumps usually go off the rear ramp of the C-130. Normal static line jumps use the door up front.

Reactions: Robbi

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It was a wood and canvas plane and I think the canvas was a bit rotted.

This was in the 30s to the Isle of Man.

Gooney birds still around? I am not suprised.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Only cargo drops and HALO jumps usually go off the rear ramp of the C-130. Normal static line jumps use the door up front.
Interesting. In my days in the Army (in Sweden) we only used the rear ramp. 300m height: 8 guys in around 10 seconds. 150m height I think about 15 seconds.
Never done HALO. Ultralow yes. Highest 600m

I hated every single second of the jumping. Every single jump. I still have a problem looking down from buildings.

But it was good for my life.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
My father was a young lad in Dorset and on the eve of D-Day, the airborne operation flew over the valley where he lived and he watched it all, they knew something big had to happening but did not know what. The next day his father who was the headmaster of the village school gathered them all together to listen to Churchill speeches on the radio.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
In company with hundreds of other people I stood on the cliffs of the Sussex Coast and the memorial flight passed directly over our heads. A quick study of the photographs will reveal that I am definitely not a photographer, but for me and family they serve their purpose.

People gathering on the cliff top..

upload image

Our neighbours in Kent would have seen them first, and then from the East came the roar of Aero engines and then the formations appeared.

upload image

upload image

upload image

upload image

upload image

upload image

Many of the aircraft carried British, American and Commonwealth Paratroopers who would parachute onto the same, or close to, the original landing zones of 1944.

A few minutes of excitement and engine noise and then silence.
They were gone, but never forgotten.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE