Cuttlefish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Cuttlefish bone or whatever the technical name is for it, I'm sur e you know what I mean.

Do you know of any use for them other than giving it to the budgie.:D

GS

Cuttlefish is one the the very best things you can use to clean polished granite - from kitchen work tops to headstones, it gets off dirt, paint, grime - the lot.

There is also a local artist who carves designs into it and paints it. Looks quite nice.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As kids we would carve it into fish and even butterflies (yep, really).

I've used it as a fine polish for near finished carved wood and on metal.

Because it takes a very fine detail when carved it's quite possible to cast some very nice pieces. I have cast brass/bronze into it but it didn't retain all the detail; probably burnt before the metal had started to harden. I think it's been used to cast gold objects in historic times. (sorry, just read the earlier thread and link - so gold rings then :) )

Jan 23, 2012
Dorset
A friend mentioned that his grandfather used to use flattened surfaces of cuttlefish bones to strop tool blades. I posted this on British blades yesterday as I was on the hunt for anyone else who had heard of this. I will try it out when I get some next time I visit the beach.

Jjj

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE