Cutting firewood - some tools and tips - picc heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
That, my friend, is quite the set-up. I'm a little surprised at the use of an electric saw...never used one myself, but I just assumed it mightn't have the power needed...
We have a big hardwood acreage over here and we also do a lot of cutting, but I fear that if I posted pics of our operation, you might have a minor coronary...
basically we skid all the logs up to a landing, then wade into the pile with a saw and dice it all up. For hardwood I use an 80cc saw with a 24 inch bar...I find it a bit heavier
than a limbing saw, but lots of power gets the job done quicker!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for all the interest and comments guys :)

I do have a grenade and I use it now and again on smaller rounds, but I find it often can't cope with the 3 or 4 foot diameter stuff as well as multiple straight wedges do - very useful on smaller stuff though I agree. I'll add a little to the post and show it perhaps next time I dig it out.

silentpaddler - pictures please :)

Lots of people are surprised at the electric saw - but it is every bit as powerful as a petrol saw (if it spins the chain as fast it pretty much has to be when you think about it) and a heck of a lot lighter. Plus when you put it down whilst putting up the next log it is "dead" - a nice feature I find. I use petrol saws too (My largest is an 18" Husqy 310 though - nothing on your 24" beast). Would love to see some pictures of the pros in action :)

Red

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
good post red, a good, safe way to cut firewood although i think the chainsaw jacket is a bit exesive. you would be far better off with chainsaw boots instead.

at work we don't bother with sawhorses either cutting cord on the ground or directly off the stack, much faster but not for the novice. the chances of kickback are much higher and it is oftern necassary to cut within an inch or two of your toes! 'sure but you have armoured boots on?' i wouldn't want to test them and i have seen many pictures of saws that have cut through them! rapping yourself in protective gear doesn't meen you can act like an idiot with a chainsaw.

apart from the fact that most people who are not experienced with a saw WILL blunt it when cutting anywhere neer the ground :)rolleyes:) while cutting small wood on the ground the chain can catch cut logs which flicks them into your shins which really hurts! lol

have fun:campfire:

pete

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Great post BR, very interesting about the seasoning, I dont have the space you do but i try to keep my wee space topped up.

Here is my wee space, its 1.5 pallets wide (which the wood sits on) the canoe is the roof, I made the fence only single slats at the back to let the air pass through, I have put sides on it since to help me stack more in.

I hope to invest in a wee hut next year, and put a lean to roof on the side of it, i will store pre cut kindling under there as i can get unlimited pallets from work.

IMG_3386.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope to invest in a wee hut next year, and put a lean to roof on the side of it, i will store pre cut kindling under there as i can get unlimited pallets from work.

Mate of mine used to buy lorry loads of scrap pallets and heat his home with them. Not allowed now - because they are tanalised they are not to be sold :(

As for the kindling - guess whats in the el cheapo plastic dustbin :). I keep one to hand and all the small stuff gets slung in for kindling. If I get low I'll chop up some sneddings - they dry real quick. I must get a few more bins thinking about it.......

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
go for husqu's they are about £41 pounds, . you can spent an extra £11 and get metal studs that screww in the boot sole..great for in the snow and ice ;)

Done - thanks for the tip :). Thats my slush fund exhausted. Still works out cheaper than buying split wood mind you!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Red, I'll respond to your request for pics when we get back at it
in January...never thought to bring a camera when we're out
slashing, so I have no pics on file...
took this when I was goofing around with a windfall oak...
ripped it freehand just to make a coffee break bench..

woodcutting013.jpg

woodcutting016.jpg

Conspicuos is my lack of safety gear. Your tutorial has made me decide to mend my ways...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Lots of people are surprised at the electric saw - but it is every bit as powerful as a petrol saw...

I never thought an electric one would be as good as a petrol one until I saw a cheap one in Aldi and thought I'd give it a try. I think it was about sixty quid. It's been fantastic, and since I bought it (a couple of years ago) it's probably done more work than my petrol saw. It's a lot more convenient around the wood shed than the petrol machine and easily competes on cutting power.

Nice post, Red.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
good job there silentpaddler.. what sort of oak was it ?

Thanks...it was Red Oak...quite plentiful in these parts. Slabbing it with a chainsaw isn't that difficult as long as you have a sharp chain
and enough horsepower driving it. I have a 32 inch bar that I use for really big stuff, but anything larger than that needs a bigger power head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE