Customs Duty.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i am thinking of buying a hat from fur hat world in canada ans was wondering if anybody knows if it wil incur any customs duty or import tax.
The hats iam intrested in are either sheepskin or fur and are under £100 in value !

cheers andrew.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You could potentially get charged VAT and duty (15%?) on top of the value of the goods + postage

i.e. If the hat cost £90 and the shipping was £10, you'll get charged:

(90+10)*1.2*1.15 = £138

That said, at this time of year you might get away with it

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Depends, I bought a bush hat from Oz earlier in the year and had no extra charges at all. It cost about 40€.
Also I've ordered a fair few bit for my Alice /Molle pack of US ebay and never been charged.
Perhaps I just got luckly.

cheers
Gareth

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just received some hammock bits from the US, total value was $159.50 and I got stung for £28.14 for customs and RM charges

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
a good tip that was given to me by my postie was to ask the seller to hand write the label, apparently, when the parcels come into the UK, they look for (not all the time) for packages with Business type labels on them, ie typed and i was told that hand written labels, although they will get looked at, dont get looked at as much, ive bought stuff from the US and sometimes the seller will hand write the label, other times they wont, but it's hardly a coincidence that every parcel with a hand written label has come through fine, yet a couple of typed labels have had VAT and/or duty applied, sometimes the rip off handling fee from the Post Office amounts to more than the VAT & Duty as well

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've just bought a Superfly from Warbonnet. Got a letter yesterday asking for £21.18 or else no delivery. The package was worth approx £106 after currency conversion.

HTH

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE