Custom Arctic Anorak, from MollyMacGear.com

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Lovin' that anorak!

Been thinking about how to use wide sleeves and be able to access pockets from within - great to see that the issue has already been overcome!

Following with interest

Ogri the trog

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Really nice bit of kit there! Looing at the website, it mentions two sizes - medium and large. Being a stout fellow myself, I was wondering about the size you call large!

Mmmm, it will be interesting to see how this ruff works then. Im sure it'll be fine. In fact having all that coyote fur actually wrapped around your face, will be dead comfy I guess.:)
The ruff doesn't lay against your face... the hood extends out in front of you a bit. That way, you can pinch the wire in to narrow the hood opening when you are walking into the wind. The neck closes up as well, so that the ruff and your scarf make a wooly lining all the way around the opening.

So, the hood can be put in "hunker down" mode, or it can be left fully open, or it can be left fully open and the neck can be vented, or you can fold the edge of the hood back to put the ruff on the outside... or you can remove the ruff and put it in your pocket.

Anoraks require lots of options for venting, particularly at the neck and hood.

Speaking of that... about cuffs. I do not like velcro in the snow. I've tried toggle closures for cuffs, and find they are difficult to do one handed with mitts on. My preference is to use outer mitts with large gauntlets, into which I stuff my cuffs. Or not, depending on how I want to vent the cuffs. But rather than make a closure for the cuffs, I recommend mitts with large gauntlets. You just fold the cuff around your hand, hold it closed and insert your hand into the mitt.

Of course, it's the sash that serves as the vent control for the bottom of the anorak.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Mac.

The hood sounds interesting. Kinda like a 'snorkel' hood. [And more!] Looking forward to getting it. I got your email and have responded. All sorted, thanks.

[Thanks for sorting out the Sash] :) Very Kind.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ere dave, could you let us know how well the arms inside, getting to pockets and changing layers thing works when fully layered up please mate
Pick a cool night though :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I darent even look at the price mate :lmao:

I'm thinking more of a sewing project for meself tbh.
The trusty old swedish snow smock has done me well on three trips but i wouldn't mind if it was easier to get on and off and to get at stuff in pockets underneath

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Would you believe under £100 with a ruff, but without postage? Well worth it.

I got some extras though. But they are optional.

[I suppose I should mention, Im obviously in no way profiting from this as per the forum rules]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Shall do, thankyou. Should be arriving soon. I asked Mac for some material so I could take it to a dressmakers, to make a 'tump' or pulling strap for a tobbogan. He said 'dont bother, I'll make one for you!'
Couldnt be happier, so far.
I hope some people on here put some business his way.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A few photos;

The coyote ruff works well enough if you have a hat on. It akes a bit of getting used to, as a pose to one on the outside, but once youve worn the anorak you realise its all well thought out especially for venting, movement.
Any middle layer, base layer which has a fullzip, can be out or taken off on without taking the anorak off. Which is handy
The inside pocket can be used to keep a pair of glove liners against your body, hopefully warming/drying it. Or anything else you want to keep in there.
Its big and baggy. And the attention to detail and stitching are superb.
Ruff is lined on the back, and can come out fully, or just dangle, or is long enough to wrap around your chin. It might work, with the lining facing your face as well, but I dont if its designed to do that. The hood has a good wire frame.
The three buttons around your face, all have tags attached so you can tighten them with your mitts on.
And I can see how there would be days when you'd only want one open or all them.
The scarf is really long, and at first I thought, hang on a sec, Im not french, why would I wear that? It can go around me three times.
But Ive tried it on a few times and it is very comfy and warm, so I'll be wearing that.
Maybe just put my belt kit on, over my swanndri bush shirt, when i stop to make camp?
And its the only anorak Ive had which does fully cover my swannie bush shirt.
All in all, it seems like a very practical design.

[Oh, it came in an impregnable tyvek bag, which was stitched closed, and I didnt pay any customs on it....;) ]

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The scarf is a mesh to cover your entire face with high wind speeds and wind chill.
You wrap your entire head, parka hood and all, and tramp on.
One or two layers, you can still see through it.

I grew up on the Canadian prairies. Like FLAT.
Howling winter blizzards, -30C and a mile to walk with your back to the wind.
No big deal when you are ready for it. Leather coat shell, layers of insulation,
off you go.
You just trudge, thinking your own thoughts. Backwards, you hit a few parked cars,
no big deal = carry on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE