Custom Arctic Anorak, from MollyMacGear.com

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I recently commissioned a custom arctic anorak to be made, by MacEntyre of MollyMacGear.com in the USA.

For those interested in DIY Anoraks, the patterns are my own, but they are based on the Anorak in The Snow Walker's Companion. The hood comes from one I dismantled, taken from a Thrift Shop coat. How to put it all together... well, that takes practice.
Another detail that is my own idea is the matching pockets inside and out... there is no opening to the inside. Instead, you draw an arm in to get to the inner pocket. That way, you can keep things warm inside, and still have an outer pocket for mitts........MacEntyre

I asked MacEntyre to photograph the production process for me, so I could post it on here.

Knowing this would interest you guys.

1.] Anorak pattern 4 yards

2.] Pattern Cut
Anorak%20b%20Patterns%20all%20cut_zpsvmintryy.jpg

3.] Coyote Skin Arrives

I was faced with a number of choices, such as wether to use a Rabbit Fur Trim or Coyote. I choose Coyote. I also asked Mac to add some decorative Ribbon on the cuffs and Hem.

The only decorative ribbon I've found that I like is an American Indian design... it's a Southwest style for a Far North garment, but it looks good. I'll look around at the local stores.

4.] Body and Sleeves with Trim
Anorak%20d%20Body%20and%20Sleeves%20with%20Trim_zpsokesgt0z.jpg

5.] Anorak Trim Detail

I also asked MacEntyre to get me a traditional woolen sash, which he managed to do.
[Not shown here]

I really like the trim he chose though.

6.] Anorak, Sleeves Attached
Anorak%20f%20Sleeves%20Attached_zpsb2ckrzov.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
7.] How Hood Starts Out

Anorak%20g%20How%20Hood%20Starts%20Out_zpskimskjmo.jpg

8.] Hood Brought Together

Anorak%20h%20Hood%20Brought%20Together_zps9agb2zoj.jpg

9.] Hood Wire Stiffener Added.

Anorak%20i%20Hood%20Wire%20Stiffener%20Added_zpsc5flqjdr.jpg

10.] Hood Coyote Ruff Added

Anorak%20j%20Hood%20Ruff%20Added_zpskd7bltzg.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
11.] Hood Attached To Anorak

Anorak%20k%20Hood%20Atached%20to%20Anorak_zps0pfqjxzu.jpg

12.] Hood Cinch Strap added.

Anorak%20l%20Hood%20Cinch%20Strap%20Added_zpsqh2q6cw6.jpg

At all times Mac-Entyre was jovial, helpful, accomodating with my requests, and I would thoroughly recommend him if you're looking for a custom made arctic anorak.

Yours needs buttons and a sash, and then it's done! MacEntyre

Contact Detail are: MollyMacGear.com

Personally I cannot wait for this to arrive. Mmmm, those leather mukluks on sale look pretty tempting too.

Hoe you enjoyed the [eye candy] thread. :) His Prices are on the website, some costs may vary slightly, depending on your choices. But they are very reasonable.

TECHNICAL NOTES ON CANVAS FOR EXTREME COLD.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Cliff, I believe the arms are designed so you can take on/off layers without taking off the anorak.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looking good so far, but... ehhmm maybe I misunderstood this whole ruffthing, but isn't that supposed to be around the outside edge of the hood, so it blocks wind??

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looking good so far, but... ehhmm maybe I misunderstood this whole ruffthing, but isn't that supposed to be around the outside edge of the hood, so it blocks wind??

It creates a microclimate around your face.

It will be on the outside. Its just to store it I think?

canvas-anorak-226x300.jpg

It will end up looking like this cover from the Connovers Snow Walkers companion. Note the traditional woolen sash around the waist.

518NQN1EZZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's going to be a stotter when done Dave. You must be like a bairn waiting for Christmas for that to arrive. I really like it and the trim sets it off nicely. Fancy one myself but will have to stick to my big Swanni for a few years yet.
Mukluks I can vouch for though. Since I got mine they've kept my feet toasty. Never used to feel the cold but do these days due to meds/illness.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Anorak%20c%20Coyote%20Hide_zpsvezbiwql.jpg

I heard chuck Norris had a wolf rug lying in front of his fireplace.
It wasnt dead though, just too scared to move.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That's going to be a stotter when done Dave. You must be like a bairn waiting for Christmas for that to arrive. I really like it and the trim sets it off nicely. Fancy one myself but will have to stick to my big Swanni for a few years yet.
Mukluks I can vouch for though. Since I got mine they've kept my feet toasty. Never used to feel the cold but do these days due to meds/illness.

Yeh yeh, Cheers Colin. Ive got the us air force ones for a tenner in heavy canvas, and a Candaian mesh sole, plus two felt soles for each one, and im keeping them, just because the fit with the 3 pairs of swedish socks is absolutely perfect. I think its a bit of a fluke to buy something off the web, and have it fit so perfectly.

Looks good. Can't wait to see it a bit dirty!
I agree it needs a bit of dirt on it.

I love it.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
It creates a microclimate around your face.

It will be on the outside. Its just to store it I think?
It will end up looking like this cover from the Connovers Snow Walkers companion. Note the traditional woolen sash around the waist.

:

Ah ok.... again learned something

I agree it needs a bit of dirt on it.

Y'know what?
Send it over here and I'll see to it that you get some genuine Swedish dirt on it. And not just any dirt. Real Dalarna-dirt!!
And because I like it so much I'll even add some real, authentic Dala-woodsmoke to the mix. From real Dala-wood lit in an original Dala-fire...
How's that for a deal?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ah ok.... again learned something

Y'know what?
Send it over here and I'll see to it that you get some genuine Swedish dirt on it. And not just any dirt. Real Dalarna-dirt!!
And because I like it so much I'll even add some real, authentic Dala-woodsmoke to the mix. From real Dala-wood lit in an original Dala-fire...
How's that for a deal?

LoL. Can I come with it? Arrrgghhh youre too far south. :p If you were in Norrbotten, I would do...

Last edited:
Hello, folks!

I was just checking out the post Dave told me he made with my pics... wasn't gonna say anything, but ya'll are talkin' about ruffs, so I thought I would comment.

My understanding and experience using a ruff in deep cold is that it goes on the inside, and can be folded to the outside. On the inside, it makes a place for water to condense out of your breath, so that frost forms away from your face, instead of on it. If it's balmy, you can fold the edge of the hood back, putting the ruff on the outside.

When you hunker down, you want a small opening for your face. The wire and the ruff help you do that. A nice, full ruff would be best, but I would not make one with the skins I have obtained so far. You need a full winter coat on a 'yote to make a big, fluffy ruff. My anoraks are strictly functional, and not expensive. The way the ruff attaches, though, allows you to add a better ruff, should you find one.

Thanks for your critique!

I have been a member for a while, but I haven't visited often. I joined because a couple of friends said it was a place to find good folks. I am looking forward to spending more time here!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good post Macentyre and like the kit you're making.
They way you explain the ruff is pretty much my understanding of how they work. I'd always heard that the fur of choice was wolverine fur. Seemingly it's the only fur that doesn't freeze up and matt. Don't know how true that is or if it's an old explorers tale.
Again lovely work and looking forward to more posts from yourself.
ATB,
GB.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mmmm, it will be interesting to see how this ruff works then. Im sure it'll be fine. In fact having all that coyote fur actually wrapped around your face, will be dead comfy I guess.:)

I've been discussing the 'Metis Sash' with Macentyre and doing my own research.

There are a lot of polyester sashes for sale, but I cannot see the practicality of such a sash, so I decided to buy a woolen one, hand loomed by the Quechua Indians from the Andes in the region around Cusco, Peru.

This sash is hand-made on a loom using alpaca wool. It is a replica of the Assomption style sash made in Assomption, Québec. Whose earliest known origins come from the 18th century (<1800). It is the oldest known sash design.

The sash can be used to sling a broken arm, extend to a friend who's fallen through the ice, quickly add insulation to frozen soaked extremeties, wrapped around ears and face, in severe winds, be used as a tumpline, and being wide soft wool, its very comfotable, and doesnt apply pressure to veins, arteries, keeps in the warm air.

s-l300.jpg

There are 3 types of voyageur sashes.

1. Finger woven sashes where you can see the flames and/or fléchée. A lot of work is necessary to produce these, therefore a full-sized one of these requires a lot of work to produce and a larger one will generally cost between $1000 to $3000. These would be the most authentic voyageur sashes and were generally called Assomption sashes as that is where they were most produced.

2. Sashes made on a loom by hand. They are generally made with real wool and are of very high quality. The majority of sashes worn from 1850-1950 would have been this type. The fringes are generally twisted or braided. They were made near Coventry and Manchester, England from 1850 to 1900. An old Coventry sash can sell from $200 to $500. A new loomed sash should be in the $40 to $300 range depending on the size and material used.

3. Commercial machine-made sashes. This is the pattern that is currently the most common. Most machine-made sashes are red with small lines running down the length. This design dates back to the first Carnaval in Québec City roughly 60 years ago. Machine-made sashes older than the 1990s are probably made with sheep wool while more recent machine-made sashes tend to be made with acrylic and polyester. These sashes are made like a blanket, cut down to the proper length and width then serged on the edges with the fringes made from knotted loose fibers rather than twisted. A machine-made sash sells from $5 to $25.

How to Tie a Metis sash.

[video=youtube;wj4GcwweFUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj4GcwweFUs[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE