Curiosity: Can you ID this traditional tool please?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I am off to the carboot tomorrow, may look out for a nice spokeshave. A draw knife would be nice too. I don't want a shiney new blade, I like somethng with a bit of character. Is this a sign of getting old?

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Do not ever let someone pull back a wood bow with out a arrow it less you like two pieces also never string a bow with your legs holding it.allways use a bow stringer i make mine like this

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am off to the carboot tomorrow, may look out for a nice spokeshave. A draw knife would be nice too. I don't want a shiney new blade, I like somethng with a bit of character. Is this a sign of getting old?

Old? At your age :eek: I wonder what does that make me at mine;) :eek: :eek: You could also look for a small block plane, one where you can adjust the mouth, they are really useful tools, you can hold it single handed, I use mine for everything, including making arrow shafts.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
If spokeshave not shinny its not sharp it all got to be smooth no rust to cut right like skiing on snow

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

A quality old shefield made draw knife is an extremely versatile tool, you can take off anything from 1/4 inch "laths" right down to rizla thin shavings AND if its sharp, really sharp, it will leave a fantasic smooth surface that wont need to be violated with "sandpaper" (I dislike the stuff :D ). Also remove bark, make fast chamfer's, do taper's and points, form and clean up tennons etc. If you give it a convex bevel it will do curves nicely. People worry about the long sharp edge coming towards you, but its cobbler's. Its only risky if you work one handed :rolleyes: :lmao: . True if the work isnt gripped firmly it might slip and belt you in the chest, thats why you ned to use it in conjunction with a good work holding device. Drawknife and shave horse belong together.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is the plan! I have an old auger, 20 mm diameter. I reckon that would do as a starter for some of the holes and maybe I will find a few augers tomorrow at that old guys' stall with the wooden boxes full of old tools that is at every car boot sale. Couple that with a draw knife and a saw and I will have most of the tools required to build the horse. Then, it's just a question of getting some timber, but I don't want stuff from the saw mill, I want to work it all myself. So, I have a few places that I can get good timber, and hopefully I can get this show on the road. I have a workmate type bench as well, so that will help in the early stages of construction. The draw knife will be my big thing to look for tomorrow.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hi spamel :)

One thing to watch out for if your going to get an old auger bit is to look closely at the screw thread on the tip. It is essential its in good conditioin because it pulls the rest of the cutting blades into the wood. If they are badly worn or rusted or damaged, its unlikely you will be able to sucessfully refurb and use the tool to make acurate (non-wandering) holes. Also look at the wings (the 2 sharp edges that scribe the circular shape of the hole) If they are worn down/rusted etc, again the tool is pretty much useless and beyond refurb.

I like your style, saw, drawknife, auger, thats about all you need, plus an axe to do some splitting. There was a plan for a shave horse on one of the theads, but it was just too fussy and complex. We are talking green woodworking, not krenov type cabinet making :D I dont know if it was supposed to be french polished? There plan needed about 44 tools and a complex cutting list. Dont get me wrong I'm a big believer in using cutting lists and rod's (full scale acurate drawings) to work from,definately they have there place, but doing green woodwork outside isnt one of them :lmao: less is more

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I love old tools, for the money you get much better steel

Thats about it, you know the quality of the steel by how easy and quick you could get a wire edge, crap steel wont acheive a wire edge it crumbles and you get a blunt rough edge, the older steels were finer and springier and the grain of the steel as maintained by the forging process. I think some modern tools are stamped out of old skip's :lmao:

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I don't want a shiney new blade, I like somethng with a bit of character. Is this a sign of getting old?

Nah, older tools, by their very nature have lasted longer than shoddier made tools, thereby proving their robustness, (Be wary of old hammers though).

I'm only 31 and I prefer old tools I've a couple of wood saws that are much older than me.

Of course you could just get a new tool and leave overnight wrapped in vinegar soaked kitchen tissue. :D

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The thing is, I had the opportunity to have away with a bunch of wood augers and spokeshaves and god knows what else from old Combat Engineering tool just before I left the forces. They were getting binned, and were in big wooden robust chests. I was gonna go back and get them and kept on with the old "I'll get them tomorrow! and when I did go to get them they were gone. Of course, the tools were in pretty good nick as they had hardly ever been used. That was where I got the blacksmithing tongs that went to a British Blades Hammer-in earlier in the year as prizes.

Anyway, we'll see what tomorrow brings!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Yep Spamel i do almost the same thing at lawn sales see something don't really need it. get home dam i should have got then go back to get it gone.So now no if and buts i get it even if i don't need it i find someone that does.Years ago a man lives close but was going to take old wood hot water take to the dump so i took it put beside road for sale before day was over sold it for 20.00 dollars

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Today was a disaster. It seems nobody wanted to brave the weather, and who could blame them! As I left Silkstone and drove towards Penistone, the rain was coming down and the wind was blowing. I drove past Ratbags' village and turned onto the road towards my parents house, and there was sleet coming down! It was looking very cold outside. I picked my Dad and brother up and we made our way to the carboot site.

When we arrived, we were surprised to not have to pay the pound entry fee as normal. Nobody was stood at the entrance so in we went. It soon became apparent why though as we saw there were probably more greasy spoons than stalls! No tools, in fact the only things I bought was a stuffed toy for my missus who collects Eeyore stuff from Winnie the Pooh, and a rocking chair! My Dad was not happy at going all that way and coming away empty handed, but the weather was terible and I was wrapped up and still cold. Not even the greasy cheese burger and black coffee could keep the chill out!

So, no draw knife, no spoke shave, gonna take a look around some local shops maybe!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I feel your pain and desolation spamel :D
Better luck next time. At least no one else was there and got the early bargain's.
If you have an ironmonger near you try them, especially if they been established a long time. They sometimes have "old stock" upstairs or whatever, if you ask they might just have it and be glad of a sale. Farmer's supply stores sell auger's usually for doing gate posts and fencing posts etc. Try the auctioneers, there might still be some good muck about in west yarkshire :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE