Cumbria, near Coniston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Camped there before, it never cost owt though, who do you pay?

Have climbed there a bit and used to absail onto the steel staging when it was still there.

it`s still a great spot, myself & a few from the BB club spent a few weekends early last year cleaning up after the idiots, broken bottles, car wheels(tyres burn off) beer cans & general litter including uncovered human toilet habits and loo paper, John lets me use the site now because of the work we put in, (he was going to ban camping all together), it would be a shame to lose such a great place for good, so we ask everybody who goes to take all litter home, clean up and leave the site like we had never been there, it`s on this understanding that we are always welcome back now.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
it`s still a great spot, myself & a few from the BB club spent a few weekends early last year cleaning up after the idiots, broken bottles, car wheels(tyres burn off) beer cans & general litter including uncovered human toilet habits and loo paper, John lets me use the site now because of the work we put in, (he was going to ban camping all together), it would be a shame to lose such a great place for good, so we ask everybody who goes to take all litter home, clean up and leave the site like we had never been there, it`s on this understanding that we are always welcome back now.

Do you ever go round to the Cathedral cavern as well? Thats worth a visit of you have never seen it although the climbings pretty hard work over there.

If I want to go again where do I find him?
I went for a walk up there this summer and noticed that there was a lot less parking space but never really paid any heed.

Big Beast...
Good on you, and thanks for clearing it up and keeping the camp open.

It just happens I had a chat with my younger brother about going camping soon and he was keen so I may well think about heading there. It looks like it could be a really good spot if we decide against wild camping somewhere more remote.

"Leave no trace" - is it a carry out EVERYTHING site? Or is digging a poo-pit and burying it according to usual wild camping best practice ok?

weyhey

Oct 13, 2008
Darlington
Hello BigBeast I'm here at last!
I'm the newbie on this site :) and am just getting back into this kind of thing and I'm defo up for the Bush craft weekend hope a few of you will show me and my son the way to do things though as we are only learners, really looking forward to it :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One time whilst coming back from climbing at Hodge Close a mate and I spotted a good looking black woman dressed in a red velvet kaftan thing surrounded by those reflective umbrella things photographers use.
She was on the right of the road about four hundred yards away from the quarry before we got back onto the main Ambleside to Coniston road, we just figured it was a photographic shoot and worried out heads no more about it.

Few months later and there THIS video by The Shamen on the telly and there she is.

Looking at the video they also shot some of it at Long Meg and her Daughters stone circle and also Castlerigg stone circle.

Big Beast...
Good on you, and thanks for clearing it up and keeping the camp open.

It just happens I had a chat with my younger brother about going camping soon and he was keen so I may well think about heading there. It looks like it could be a really good spot if we decide against wild camping somewhere more remote.

"Leave no trace" - is it a carry out EVERYTHING site? Or is digging a poo-pit and burying it according to usual wild camping best practice ok?

it`s a carry everything out, but digging a poopot might be hard, tends to be cover well with slate lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE