Cumberland State Forest (pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Today's weather forecast called for temps in the low 70s F so I went over to Lake Winston, on the Cumberland State Forest. The lake is about eight miles from my home here in Cumberland County. It was warm and breezy, for mid February, here in central Virginia. It was good to be out in the forest today. Here are a few pics of the outing. Lake Winston is a good little pond to fish for Largemouth Bass, Crappie and sunfish.

A map of the forest.
DSCN1576.jpg

Bridge over the spillway creek, the lake's dam and spillway.
DSCN1572.jpg

The picnic shelter.
DSCN1574.jpg

Another bridge continuing on the Willis River Trail.
DSCN1575.jpg

An old BBQ at the shelter.
DSCN1577.jpg

The spillway creek, from the lake, running beside the shelter. It's tinkling flow was very peaceful to listen to.
DSCN1579.jpg

The lake, looking South.
DSCN1614.jpg

Another view from the lake's earthen dam.
DSCN1615.jpg

I had a great, relaxing time out today. To see what I had for lunch, head on over to the Lovely Grub forum and look for the Lake Winston Lunch thread.

Gordy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very nice indeed Gordy, thanks for sharing.

What are the rules like for wild camping in places like that?

Edit: Just found the rules myself. Only open from dawn to dusk, no camping allowed.

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Martin - The meal was not quite up to the standards of your Sergeant Major's Mess. The little bit of sausage made the "healthy choice" a little tastier. :D

Cheers Cliff, Rich, Paul and WeThe Peoplexfbm!

Mesquite - Unfortunately, no camping. When the lands were given to Virginia, by our federal government, both the Department of Forestry and the Department of Conservation and Recreation were given portions of land on the same tracts. My guess is, no camping on the forest to send the folks to the campgrounds in the parks. The revenue from campground fees in the parks is a substantial part of the DCR budget. The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries allow wild camping on the lands controlled and managed by that department. The two national forests in Virginia have well over 2 million acres and allow wild camping, with some reasonable restrictions. So, plenty of places to camp.

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
real nice area thanks for the pic's Gord..vince g. 11B Inf...

Hi Vince. You should post up some pictures from your neck of the desert. It is beautiful over there. I did a little hunting over at San Carlos Reservation. I love it over there, I wished I could get the old lady to pull stakes and move out there.

Gordy

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hey Gord i'm working on a new camera and trying to lean how to do it right,i'm way old school bro...any way i'll try and get something going,thanks again ....vince g. 11B Inf..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE