Crux backpacks? Or alternatives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
As some of you already know, I'm on the look-out for a new rucksack... It should be quite lightweight (<1.5kg), about 50 liters and last as long as possible (as always). After your answers about water proof bags, I've decided to go for a rainproof model, but not waterproof. The Crux AK models appear to have a fully waterproof lid compartment since 2007*, which would be great for storing a FAK etc. Anyway, I love their simple, no-nonsense design but couldn't find a lot of reviews...
Has anyone got one and would like to tell me some more about it? (looking at you, Sandbender, fe ;) ) I'm especially interested in the AK47-X, but thoughts about their other models might also help a great deal!
And since I haven't decided yet, I'd love to hear about any other backpacks in the same category which you like or you think might be good...

Cheers,
Lasse

*10 January 2007
The new AK series is now in stock.
Don’t panic, the AK has hardly changed. Apart from minor cosmetic alterations to the front, the major innovation is a redesigned back system with a better hip-belt for a more comfortable carry. Additionally, although the AK sacs were already pretty waterproof, the lid pocket is now fully waterproof and the one seam in the base has now been taped. And the weight – they’ve all lost about 20 grams.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
My mate's got a Crux AK47 and I've got a POD Black Ice ( the old version, that I've had since 1995 ), and we've had endless unwinnable arguments about which is best. Try both on and see which fits best. You won't go wrong with either though.

Cheers, Michael.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Has anyone got one and would like to tell me some more about it? (looking at you, Sandbender, fe ;) ) I'm especially interested in the AK47-X, but thoughts about their other models might also help a great deal!

Just back from a bit of a wander, will put some pics together for you over the next day or two :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
POD and Crux - lovely, lovely, lovely! I just need some money! Awesome climbing sacks (borrowed one for Alps trip) but not sure how appropriate for bushcraft? Interested to hear opinions...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have a granite gear vapour trail. 58ish liters at just below the 1 kilo mark. Good quality and ergonomics. Long or regular sizes. No lid.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
&#8221;....The Crux AK models appear to have a fully waterproof lid compartment since 2007*, which would be great for storing a FAK etc. Anyway, I love their simple, no-nonsense design but couldn't find a lot of reviews...
Has anyone got one and would like to tell me some more about it? (looking at you, Sandbender, fe ;) ) I'm especially interested in the AK47-x but thoughts about their other models might also help a great deal!...&#8221;

Lasse, as promised some photographs and thoughts on the Crux range of rucksacks.

lycian_17.jpg

Crux AK50

I purchased my first Crux pack (the AK50) in 2001, replacing it in 2003 for the newer AK47 (I replaced it because the new grey/green color was more to my taste than the AK50's dull red).

It has a capacity of 47 litres, weighs 1170g and is constructed from a kevlar/cordura weave
My pack is of an older design than the current version and doesn&#8217;t claim to be particularly water resistant however I&#8217;ve never had any problems with water ingress.
The Crux range are designed for climbers, not trekkers however Crux have a sister company which produces packs for distance walking/trekking...

Lightwave

However I prefer the simplicity of the Crux design and my pack has accompanied me on some very long walks in some of the roughest country in the world. I have no complaints.

Pictures

A picture showing the side and back of the pack, ice axe loops and wand pockets. Just visible on the back are four attachment loops which shock cord can be threaded through to stow a snow shovel or similar.
5960699896_191b490e1a.jpg

The AK47 has a fixed lid, I prefer this to the &#8216;floating lid&#8217; used on the AK47-x, that said my old AK50 had a floating lid and it did some advantages. The designers plan was to allow the user to overstuff the pack with extra ropes and gear and it is possible to add a good few liters to the packs capacity in this way. Additionally it also allowed for the entire top pocket to be removed and by using a spare piece of strap or cord the top pocket could become a shoulder bag to carry your valuables and necessities, useful if your forced to stuff your pack into a bus cargo hold, catch a plane or when you head into town for a beer and a bite.

There is a small internal pocket under the lid, just big enough for a wallet and passport, additionally there two loops of material below the clips at the top of the picture which can be used to secure a rolled up rain jacket or similar.

The stitching and material used is very strong and mine shows no sign of wear after a great deal of abuse. Apparently the draw-cords can be used for emergency rap anchors (whatever they might be). :)

5960699482_86b72b294f.jpg

A slightly out of focus picture of the top pocket zips, the light grey square below is the access point for a water bladder tube.

5960698504_2632f62a97.jpg

A picture showing the over-engineered draw cord closures, these are very tough.

5960700120_43b16bc4fe.jpg

Crux packs come in three sizes and provide no back length adjustment, however the shoulder straps and back are made in one piece and mold to the users back and shoulders more readily than other designs I have used.

5960698768_dc89777289.jpg

A close up of the yoke.

5960699226_371ba40d55.jpg

A close up of the side compression straps, these attach with a clip at the top and a slider at the bottom allowing quick removal and adjustment.

5960700934_1a5c326b0c.jpg

Crux don&#8217;t build a side pouch for their rucksacks and have no plans to ever do so, however a pair of Ortlieb bags can be secured under the side straps and tied together under the lid to provide extra storage for food and water when needed.

5960142101_2b98620206.jpg

My wife has a newer version of the AK47 which features additional heavy duty loops where the belt joins the pack, I presume these are for stowing carabiners, Additionally there have been a few other changes, all of them improving the overall design.

Crux AK47

:)

Last edited:

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks a lot for the pictures and comments Sandbender!!
When you've been carrying the AK47 for longer tours, how much weight do you reckon you were carrying in it, comfortably?
Why do you prefer the fixed lid over a floating lid, which, as you state, has a couple of advantages?
I've also been looking at the Lightwave range, but unfortunately the Fastpack 50 which I'm most interested in, comes in only one back length, which probably won't fit. I'll try one on when my dealer's got them back in stock next week...

Big Swede, do you carry any smaller pouches when you use the Vapor Trail (like the optional lid) or do you stuff everything in the bag's main compartment? Looks and sounds like a good bag but maybe slightly more minimalist than what I'm after...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I carry sleeping mat (if used), and tarp bundled together on the outside. Small stuff like waterbottles and ration bags and whatnot goes into the elastic side pockets. I think it's an ingenious design. I haven't really felt the need for a lid. Although when I use my older frame packs the closing and strapping of the lid gives a special kind of feeling, like "it's go time" or something, hard to explain, it's a certain feeling to old heavy packs. But most often it's the modern light weight vapour trail I use. It's big enough to swallow all my gear and more if I need, and still weighs somewhere between a third and a half of ordinary packs, so why not? One kilo less per step means a lot after 40 km walking.

That said, I think the crux packs look ace, and when I need to buy a new pack (well, the next 30 years or so), I will certainly give them a closer look.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks a lot for the pictures and comments Sandbender!!
When you've been carrying the AK47 for longer tours, how much weight do you reckon you were carrying in it, comfortably?
Why do you prefer the fixed lid over a floating lid, which, as you state, has a couple of advantages?

It varies depending on how much water I end up carrying or how much extra clothing I'll need, a basic load will come in at around 7-9 kg without food and water. For multi-day travel in rougher environments 20 kg, and although I don't like to have that much on my aging back, :) I can manage it with this pack.

I prefer the non floating lid because it discourages me from over packing and carrying more gear, it also feels a little more secure and gives me that 'it's go time" feeling that big_swede describes. Additionally the AK47-x is only available in red, I much prefer the dark grey/green of the AK47.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Alpkit are supposed to be releasing a climbing-oriented backpack which, from the description seems similar to the Crux. Mind you, they said this last year...still waiting.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I am looking for some side pouches for my Crux AK50 rucksack.
And sugestions? Which pair of Ortlieb bags are used in the picture?

A PM would have been better lostsheep :) Hopefully my seventeen month late answer might be useful to someone else if not you. :)

Ortlieb PD350 Drybag - Size: XS

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Lasse, If you're pushed towards a climbers sac check out www.aiguillealpine.co.uk they do a great range even in OG if you like.

Sandbender an emergency rap anchor is an anchor for abseiling off. Rap is short for rappell the US (?) word. The cord does look thick enough but I think you would have to be in dire straights to need it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE