Crooked knife kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have been making a crooked knife blade for a customer and thought that maybe other people might be interested in having one, and so made a few more blades at the same time.

I am offering them for sale as a small kit. I have 2 sizes of blades: 73mm and 46mm approx, both for right and left handed knives.

The kit comprises:
1 blade
1 band sawn American White Oak blank handle, marked with the position of the tang
Enough whipping thread for finishing
1 "how to" sheet to help you with making your crooked knife

All for the miserly sum of 25 quids, including 1st class postage to the UK :D for each kit!

The two blades

DSCN0508.jpg

The kit (got ahead of myself there and took the pic before I shaped the blades:rolleyes:
DSCN0504.jpg

What the carving knife looks like when done
DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

The lot of them
DSCN0509-1.jpg

This is my prototype and the blade is on the underside. On your kit the blade will be fitted in the middle of the handle. The position of the tang is marked on the blank. The finished knife measure 220 mm long.

To finishe the knife, all you'll need is two part epoxy (araldite) a few common tools to shape the handle to your liking, sand paper and varnish.

Of course you must be 18 or over to buy this.

Thanks for looking.:)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Blimey :eek:! Had to do a bit of stock taking:D

Sold:
4x 73mm Right handed kits
1x 46mm right handed kits
1x 46mm left handed kits

:beerchug: Thank you very much, gentlemen.I am working all day tomorrow, and sat morning :( So I'll post from Monday.

So, still for sale:
2x73mm left handed
2x46mm right handed

Of course, I can make some more for anyone who wants one :cool: :D

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Got mine today!:)
Thanks Jojo.
I've read the instructions for the assembly but have just a couple of questions.
does the shaft hold better if you slightly recess the shaft into the handle?
I'm only asking this to help my understanding of assembly.
Also is there a way of staining the wood naturally to give a slightly darker colour that you know of?
Top quality materials by the way!

:You_Rock_

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Hi Harlequin.. Yes, you can, if you want to, recess the tang into the main part of the handle. I have just done that on another crooked knife I am making, but for this one, I am using no epoxy, so it needs the recess to hold tight.

With the epoxy holding the tang and both part of the handle, it.s plenty strong enough, I have a couple i made like that and, although I added some whipping thread, it's only for the look of it.

As to colouring the wood, I have some Pine Tar and use a bit of that in boiled linseed oil. The oil by itself should darken the wood anyway, but you could also mix some artist oil paint in the linseed and that should colour it nicely, perhaps some reddy-brown, that should look fairly natural. I don't use those wood dyes you can get, they look too un-natural for my taste.

Perhaps I could start a short thread on "how to assemble" the crooked knife! Actually, I'll do that tonight after work.

And then, on that thread, we could discuss why the knife is made the way it is, we could experiment, and also put up the pics when the things are made. What do you think??

Ok, off to work now!

Cheers. Joel

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I'd like one......but not just now, skint again

I'm posting to say
Re: colouring, try 'Vandyke Crystals', its a brown stain made from walnut (husks I think), you mix the crystals with hot water allow to cool and paint on, the longer you leave it before wiping off the darker it stains, to finish just oil.

Second thoughts, I might point this thread out to Mrs Forge, what with Yule coming up

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
One kit sold :D . ONLY ONE LEFT....:), STILL FOR SALE, GUYS!

I have another 2 of these for sale, right handed, with slightly longer blades 80 mm. I am offering them on another forum too, so first come first served!!!

25 pounds all in.

Thanks for looking
Joel

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
what thickness steel stock are you using?

i've been making a few recently, i have been using two millimetres, but haave run out, now i've only got 1/8 inch or 1.2mm left

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Sorry, NatG, I only just found your question. I use 2mm 01 tool steel for my crooked knives blades. I haven't used either the 3 mm or the 1.2mm, but because the blades are really quite small, it should be possible to thin the 3 mm down a bit.
I also think the 1.2 mm is a bit thin, but if you make small blades with it then that shouldn't be a problem IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE