Crook knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Having read through some very good articles I thought I would try and contribute a little to the community.
In the various threads involving carving the curved bladed knives for carving spoons and dishes etc. are often specially made or expensive comercial ones.
In my line of work I use something very similar, a hoof knife. They come in a variety of styles, both left and right handed, and dependant upon how much you wish to pay can be high quality Solingen steel or cheap and chearfull.
Check out any local saddle shops or farm equipment shops.
I have to admit it is much more pleasant to use these on wood whilst sat in my garden than bent double with a horse leaning on me, the smell is much more pleasant also.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Have to agree with you there Culicoidis,
I picked up a double sided hook knife, that I think is used for trimming sheeps feet (or getting boy scouts out of horses hooves!). It was about £8. I did a bit of reshaping of the blade to make it more bent, so that it'll reach deeper into spoons etc. Though I haven't tried it yet, it looks as though it'll do a reasonable job.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE