Crook Knife Wooden Blade Case TUTORIAL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
ckc1.jpg

Im sure many of you bushcrafters have a Crook Knife for carving out spoons and bowls. When you purchase the knife they dont come with a sheath of any kind. The basic case i make in this tutorial is to protect the knife from damage but also to protect you from the blade when its not in use.

If you dont look after your tools, they wont look after you!

Im sure a sheath could somehow be made from leather. My design with wood isn't as pretty as leather but it does the job.

To start i cut two peices of wood exactly the same size. The wood should be long and deep enough to encase the whole blade. One of these peices will be the main case and you can split a thin slither of wood off the other to make the lid.

ckc7.jpg

Now take your crook knife and press the blade against the main thicker peice of wood to make a slight indication as to where you would like the blade to be inserted.

ckc5.jpg

Put the wood to one side for a moment. For this part you will be needing a metal kabab skiewer which you can purchase from your local supermarket. Heat it up in a red hot fire until it is easy to bend.

You will need to make the end of the skiewer the exact same shape as your crook kinfe blade. Use a pair of plyers to bend the metal into shape.

Always wear protective gloves when working with hot metal!

ckc9.jpg
ckc8.jpg

Now heat your bent skiewer up again, Really hot!

Take your peice of wood and press the red hot skiewer onto the depression you made earlier with the crook knife.

ckc2.jpg

Keep reheating the skiewer and pressing it down in the same place until the burn is as deep as the blade of your crook knife. You might have to reheat the skiewer time after time to get the depression the right depth.

ckc3.jpg

The chared wood may prevent the skiewer from burning deeper so you may have to scrape it out with the tip of your knife.

Carve and sand the block and lid to a desired shape. By clamping them together they will be exactly the same size.

ckc10.jpg

To make the lid secure in place, i drilled a socket in the main block and glued a peice of dowel to the lid.

ckc11.jpg

Make sure the dowel and socket are a snug fit, you dont want the lid to come off when you dont want it to.

Make sure that everything is perfectly aligned before the dowel glue sets!
ckc12.jpg

I then oiled the wood........Finished!

ckc13.jpg

Hope you like it and think its good enough to have a go yourself! Any questions, please ask!:)

Jon

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Nice job - just got me a crook knife and was planning on doing this and wondering how. Will be doing this some time in the next couple of weeks.

Boxy

May 9, 2005
Abingdon
This is great, I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for a really useful tutorial,

its just a shame that the sentences are cut off on the right hand side, but I get the gist.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Genius!!

I was trying to work out how to make something to cover the blade but got stuck on how to carve it. I hadnt considered burning. Will give that a go, Thanks

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
That's a great idea and nicely presented tutorial. The base idea is simple enough for novices to complete, and there's any number of different woods and embellishes to make something really eye catching. Nice one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE