crook knife sheath question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I saw a post somewhere describing how they mimicked the curve of the blade using a piece of coat hanger wire. Then they heated it up in a flame, and rested it on a small block of light coloured wood, which made a scorch mark. They then cut out where the scorch mark was, fashioned a matching 'lid' and there you have it... not sure where I saw it, either on this forum, or in a blog somewhere... hope that is of some help...

Mungo

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I used a hot wire bent into the blade shape, and a small block of dense wall foam, the blue or pink stuff. I cut it to size after that, and stitched a leather wrap round it.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I made mine like this. A spiral of leather follows the shape of the blade.

590487482_bac25d4353.jpg

590484538_07014ca297.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I normally just wrap mine in a rectangular bit of leather, spiralled up the blade and tied with piece of leather thong.

I do likewise but just stick the free end through one of the turns on the blade. I use leather made from pigskin because someone (I can't remember who:eek: ) said that it was more resistant to cutting. I don't know if that's true; all I can say is that it's a simple system that seems to work!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Our solution is not very pretty, but exceedingly functional as we have a whole bunch of them we use for teaching. We use short lengths of pipe insulation foam wrapped with a few bands of electrical tape - if you wrap it just tight enough you get a good push fit and they are nicely padded against knocks whilst in the tool bag!

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Thanks a lot guys, there's some really handy ideas here. jon r's tutorial pictures won't open for me but I think I get the drift, and thick leather's neat.
Ta, again.:You_Rock_

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I used to just wrap a bit of scrap leather around the blade as well, then came up with this:
P3110003.jpg

it still just wraps around but doesn't come loose as easily.
P3110002copyresized.jpg

It'll depend somewhat on how curved the blade is of course.
P3110004copyresized.jpg

as I say; just a variation on a theme.

regards
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE