Ben Orford v Ray Iles spoon knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Ben Orford's crook knives worth the hype or should I just go for some Ray Iles as a next step up from the Mora?, not bothered about keeping up with the Jones's/jumping on the fashionista bandwagon, just looking for something better quality as an upgrade.

To expand a little - I want something I can use straight out of the box, no additional fettling/customising needed,oh and I need then pretty soonish.

I've heard good and bad stuff about the Orford's, likewise the Iles, has anybody had/used both? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've used Ben's carving tools for years and never had any issues with them, always razor sharp out of the box and easy to maintain with use.

I've had a couple of Ray Iles ones, but sold them on as they were not suited to me, just couldn't get on with them and they always needed sharpening up to get them to where i wanted them to be, i do know of others though that really rate the Iles ones and use them all the time, horses for courses i suppose.

Reactions: Bhod

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have 5 Ben Orford crook knives floating around. I must have liked them at one point. Bugger to keep sharp.

I would drop Dave Budd a call His tools hold an edge well.

Whilst you are thinking about quality tools put yourself down on Nic Westermann’s waiting list. By the time it’s your turn to order you will know what you want if anything.

Reactions: Bhod and Dean

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Thanks for the replies. Assume Ben must be really busy as after an initial positive response with a stock update via sms he hasn't bothered with a follow up to my request of how to order. Will try Dave Budd as suggested.

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
You can order from his website https://benandloisorford.com/collections/carving-tools. I have a couple of Ben's crook knives and I find them to work really well. Robin Wood does some good crooks and also Lee Stoffer makes an excellent scorp. As said Nic Westermann's stuff works well too. They are all well made but will feel and carve differently. Another thing to consider is the size and shape of the bowl on the spoon. Different sizes and curvatures are available to better fit certain depths and shapes.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
All resolved now thanks for the replies, after several emails/SMS with Ben I'm now sorted. Purchased two of Ben's spoon knives, flatter and medium, looking forward to using them.
Good to hear and I hope that it works well for you, let us know how you get on goodjob

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Good to hear and I hope that it works well for you, let us know how you get on goodjob
Thanks, very much a beginner and looking to take it to the next level. Always something I've wanted to do and eventually got around to booking myself on a one day workshop (with Northern Woodmonkey), had a great day out and soon realised that the Mora 164 I'd been gifted, while adequate just wasn't right for me.
Had the chance to use a Ben Orford and realised that style of knife suited me better. Still very much getting to grips with the basics but now only 5 spoons in, my axe skills are improving and I can get down to a passable blank (still a long way to go though), my actual carving technique, symmetry and knife marks are an ongoing work in progress, I imagine it's just a case of practice, practice, practice.

Now just need to find a supply of various fruit woods to practice on, any tips gratefully received.

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Fruit woods are lovely and produce very fine spoons but don't be afraid to try other woods! Things like sycamore, lime, wych elm are great for spoons and can be forgiving to carve; as you get more confident, oak, beech and even box(!) can produce stunning results.

Enjoy the hook knives that Ben sends you. I've got one of his open spoon knives and it is a joy to use and easy to sharpen!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Still very much getting to grips with the basics but now only 5 spoons in, my axe skills are improving and I can get down to a passable blank (still a long way to go though), my actual carving technique, symmetry and knife marks are an ongoing work in progress, I imagine it's just a case of practice, practice, practice.
Keep your first spoon then compare it to your one hundredth spoon and you'll see a vast difference between the two. :)

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
The advice I have found most helpful is; keep your tools sharp, frustration with results and tools can come from the neglect to strop as the various blades start to cut less well. A decent strop and some compound should be enough for a while if you are using a lot of green wood.
Also, don't carve when you are tired, being alert and aware of where the sharp bit is can really help to keep accidents down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE