Crook Knife question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I have made an attempt at making a crook knife and Have had limited success using it. I have a few questions for those familiar with them.

Is the blade beveled only on one side? If so which side towards the work or away?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have made an attempt at making a crook knife and Have had limited success using it. I have a few questions for those familiar with them.

Is the blade beveled only on one side? If so which side towards the work or away?

The ones I have made have a single bevel. The flat side of the blade usually goes to the wood when shaving or planing etc but the blade can, in fact, be used equally well, although with different cutting characteristics, on either side.
I'm guessing you mean which side to the wood when actually using the knife, in which case the flat goes to the bottom.
This photo should hopefully explain better:
resizedcrookknife2righthand.jpg

( Hope John doesn't mind, this one belongs to him now!)
resizedcrookknife1righthand.jpg

This is a left hander I made as a user but never have!:rolleyes:
resizedlftcrookknife2.jpg

hope this helps explain what i'm blabbing on about;)

Best wishes
R.B.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Yes that does clarify things I have put the flat on the inside of the crook and it should be on the outside. Thanks for your help back to the drawing board. Rancid B. did you make those knives yourself ? They look beautiful.

rancid badger

Yes that does clarify things I have put the flat on the inside of the crook and it should be on the outside. Thanks for your help back to the drawing board. Rancid B. did you make those knives yourself ? They look beautiful.

Don't be too quick to discard whatever you have made, you can always adapt the blade, in fact I would think you could simply heat up the blade again to soften it, then flatten out and re-bend it to suit. I think that should work:bluThinki but I'm no expert:confused:

Thanks very much for your kind words by the way, yes I did make them myself, on an improvised forge in the back garden, to cries of: "and how long is THAT going to be there?":D

Cheers
R.B.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I won't throw it out it has to good for something as it is just a bent and sharpened piece of band saw blade. I haven't done a handle yet so nothing but some filing time.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Don't be too quick to discard what you've done. The Frosts also has the flat on the inside, and I assume that they have at least some idea of what they are doing. I do wonder though if it's done because it's easier to sharpen that way round.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think you need to decide what you are trying to make and what you want to do with it, there are at least three very different types of "crook knife". The ones posted by RB (very nice too) are examples od the East coast or woodlands Indian type sometimes called "Mocataugan" These were used more as a drawknife than anything else, original ones are not always crooked at all and often made out of old razors, they were used for all manner of work such as shaping the ribs of a birch bark canoe, or making a paddle, everything a European would use a drawknife and shavehorse for.
antique_crooked.jpg
Like a drawknife they will function with bevel down or bevel up they will just work differently and take a little getting used to holding it at just the right angle to get it working for you, some I am sure are much sweeter than others but I would stick what you have made in a handle and give it a go, its the best possible way to learn.

The link cariboo posted is to making West Coast style crooks, a rather more refined tool that was used for carving poles, bowls and masks. They tend to have flat outside and bevel inside and be double edged so can be used pushing as well as pulling. Some makers also offer bevel outside options.

The Frosts is typical of the Scandinavian or European type hook knife which is generally used one handed and on the pull stroke like a potato peeler. They tend to have outside bevel and be used for hollowing spoons, kuksas and the like. There is a similar Welsh tool called a twca cam (hook knife) which is nearly always on a long handle and I have watched spooncarvers in Romania using an almost identical tool. There is a passaround of all the best of this type going on at the moment.
IMG_3132.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29676
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29485
And if you want any more here is a video of me hollowing a spoon with one.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1TMhj9t2PY

The link to the Pacific Northwest style hook knife/crooked knife was refined by Haida artists. Bill Reid, Robert Davidson and the like.

Bill Reid did a lot of experimenting with the crooked knife and adz.
Most carvers on the coast here make their own tools. They carve, they know what they need.

I've taught day courses where everyone at the end of the day leaves with a crooked knife.
The link to How to make a crooked knife covers the basics of making any kind of carving knife. Style your own handle. Put on whatever bevel you want.
With the instructions provided you can make practically any kind of crooked or straight carving knife in your kitchen. Better in a shop but anyone can make their own.

Bevel on top or bottom, double or single, whatever you like you can make your own and you can make it better than most that you can buy. Just follow the instructions that our link provides. Email me if you're stuck.

Scott.

hook_full_9_inches_overall.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE