Crocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crocs, Love Em or Hate Em

• Love Em

Votes: 143 43.3%
  • Hate Em

Votes: 187 56.7%

• Total voters

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
got a copy of "ray mears goes walkabout" and on page 13 what is atop one of the swags... OG crocs... Please expect the price to skyrocket with the release of the woodlore croc!

On a serious note (slightly) there really is a love hate thing going on!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
got a copy of "ray mears goes walkabout" and on page 13 what is atop one of the swags... OG crocs... Please expect the price to skyrocket with the release of the woodlore croc!

On a serious note (slightly) there really is a love hate thing going on!

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Theres only one way to describe them , they are absolutely abominable excuse for footware, made by morons worn by morons.
Guess from this I don't like them !

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They don't really make your feet sweat because the inside surface is designed to create a bitof air space between your foot and the sole.
I love 'em - light, comfortable, good at keeping your feet the right temperature. Just a little pricey for the originals considering what they are.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I agree they don't look much but everyone I've spoken to who own a set swear by them, I'm going to get some later this week... but then I'm not vain enough to be worried about looking an idiot which is the only reason I can see for not wearing them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The price is already sky high!
If the followers of RM fashion spot that picture we are all doomed!
Has anyone spotted any real differences between Crocs and the hords of cheap clones?
The clones sell for pennies in Thailand.......

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The price is already sky high!
If the followers of RM fashion spot that picture we are all doomed!
Has anyone spotted any real differences between Crocs and the hords of cheap clones?
The clones sell for pennies in Thailand.......

LOL.

My friend has the cheap ones and uses them all the time, they seem just as good, but the material seems less "foamy?" if that makes sence? may be a little more sweaty?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Let's just say I prefer more natural materials and colours...

UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY things they are!
I hate plastic stuff in bright, ugly colours ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Theres only one way to describe them , they are absolutely abominable excuse for footware, made by morons worn by morons.
Guess from this I don't like them !

Nice to see you doing your bit to improve the abominable reputation the people of North Wales have.

Don't get me wrong, I love North Wales, spent many happy times there and would never call the natives 'bricks', 'clogs' or ignorant, that would be very rude.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Yeah, 'cos that's what's really important when choosing footwear.
rolleyes.gif

Crocs are cheap, light, comfy and don't get waterlogged... ideal for round camp, or in the garden.

For people who prefer style over substance I can see they probably wouldn't fit the "rugged" bushcraft image, but there's a reason Crocs are as popular as they are.

Plenty of reasons not to like them - they can get slippery if your feet sweat, they have holes which isn't ideal around thorns / thistles etc - but since when is "cheap" a bad thing?

My Frosts Clipper looks (and was!) cheap - less than £10 - but it's no better or worse than many custom knives 10 times the price.

Spot on :D and even though I don't personally own a pair (yet) the missus swears by them and she is a superb judge of character :D.

Someone here said that they are a great bit of kit when hammocking/camping and you need some basic foot protection to water the bush in the wee hours ;) and I can see how that would work having many times had to drag on my boots for said activity.

The only issue really is finding space in the pack which is always the case as space is at a premium but the fact that they are water proof, robust and extremely lightweight lends itself to the possibility to strapping them to the outside of a pack even though the act of fixing items externally is not generally a good idea.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello from a Moron!:rolleyes:
I think the bad rep people gave Crocs stems from the colours that are available - and bought !
Personally I find the bright colours distressingly ugly (I assume that the colourblind and taste free folk buy them, although some would be good for emergency signalling:D ) -
Mine are black, while olive green crocs are also available to go with the Bushcraft Uniform without the hideous colour clashes you get with Lime Green and Orange versions.
I would not carry Crocs on the outside of a pack in close country - thorns can rip them to shreds...:11doh:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hello from a Moron!:rolleyes:
I think the bad rep people gave Crocs stems from the colours that are available - and bought !
Personally I find the bright colours distressingly ugly (I assume that the colourblind and taste free folk buy them, although some would be good for emergency signalling:D ) -
Mine are black, while olive green crocs are also available to go with the Bushcraft Uniform without the hideous colour clashes you get with Lime Green and Orange versions.
I would not carry Crocs on the outside of a pack in close country - thorns can rip them to shreds...:11doh:

How about crocs with a ventile liner? :p:lmao:

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
So, everyone who has any experience of them loves them and everyone who hates them feels looks are more important than practicality in shoes :rolleyes: .

Glad to say I have some and think they're great. I'm a happy moron :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE