Crickets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am spending a few days down in Suffolk and, last night, I realised I could hear crickets chirping in the hedges. It dawned on me that I haven't heard them for years and we don't have any around us in Mid Wales.

So, I was wondering, are they confined to Southern UK or are they just missing in patches? How far North are crickets heard?

Having spent part of my childhood in North Africa, I think I miss that sound :(

Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We hardly get any around by us. But this year I have seen an amazing amount and all kinds of different species. Wonderful listening to them at night. No idea what has caused this population boom.

I spent a few years in Meru, Kenya as a kid, so know what you mean.

Reactions: PoppyD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As far as I know, no crickets west of the Rockies. I have not heard them, outside of a pet shop, in years. I used to go east in the summers and crickets galore. I miss that cheerful chirping.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Q
They are definitely more prevalent down south. Somerset, Devon and Cornwall having large populations.
Quite correct - we are the sorting centre and holding point for a lot of the Crickets.

In fact we are stock piling them - just in case we need to dispatch a plague on someone.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The may be common down here but I've seen more this year than previous ones. Proper crickets as well, none of this 100 rubbish.

• Haha

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't know of 'field crickets' we have various 'bush crickets' such as the dark bush cricket Pholidoptera griseoaptera which is supposed to be in Mid Wales - I just never hear them.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I am spending a few days down in Suffolk and, last night, I realised I could hear crickets chirping in the hedges. It dawned on me that I haven't heard them for years and we don't have any around us in Mid Wales.

So, I was wondering, are they confined to Southern UK or are they just missing in patches? How far North are crickets heard?

Having spent part of my childhood in North Africa, I think I miss that sound :(
loads in Doncaster in South yorkshire I'm not a expert on insects but there little green crickets

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Funny you bought this up.
I was lying in a meadow taking in the sounds of insects just last week & the specked bush cricket was plentiful here in Derby/ Leicester boarders near the River Derwent.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm in the south east and we hear (and see) them all the time.
How odd. I just assumed they were universal in the UK.
Same here. Up in grassland on the Downs every step sees a hurried exit by dozens of them. More this year though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE