Creepy woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
The most scared I’ve been in my life was in Manchester - running down the street to avoid the glass bottles a gang of chav scum decided to throw at me because I suggested they put them in the bin instead of smashing them on the curb and buildings nearby. :BlueTeamE
Put me in creepy woods miles from nowhere full of screaming foxes, cracking twigs and soft fluttering noises and total inner calm is mine. :)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
2. we have 5 senses and when in an unusual enviroment i reakon, they are telling us stuff we just can't decipher.

Ah the old school myth of only 5 senses, I don't mean that in a "we have otherworldly senses" more along the lines of we are taught that it's five but that's it's actually much more than that. Nice quick article at this kink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense to show what I mean.

Another thing to bear in mind ( pun not intended ) is that consciousness is entirely a constructed thing, the whole of our conscious thinking is actually us predicting the "now" situation from information we recieved fractions of a second ago and creating our "now" from that information, we're so good at it that we don't notice we're doing it, eg 25 frames per second is good enough to fool us into thinking that a series of statice video images is a continuiosly moving thing, whereas in reality our brains are filling in the blanks with what it expects given what it thinks is the situation and what it ( that is our individual minds) believe's is possible.

If during our wanderings we find our body responding to something like an increased amount of carbon dioxide, in a local area, we may not consciously percieve that as an increase in CO2 but we may notice an increase in our breathing rate and some physilogocal changes in us that are unacoutable, from a direct point of view of sensing the carbon dioxide, and fill it in with some other possibility. Unaccounted for changes are also likely to make us more alert to trying to pick out changes we can account for, eg maybe pay more attention to hearing, in the case of something like CO2 which will alter out resperation we may note that we have unacounted for phyical feelings. Also we may tend to check for them if we've noticed we're responding to something and we don't know what it is. Slight aside, did anyone else notice the different feeling they had in the big toes of their feet before they read this sentence ;) Those that have since noticed they have, probably already did uncosciously but unless it was an important difference it's unlikey to have been brought to thier conscious attention.

Or on a slightly more bushcrafty note, how many people get a more relaxed nights sleep hammocking under 2 Lime trees in Spring? Now would that be beccause of some spirit of the Lime wood or the mildly relaxing effect of limeflowers and pollen?
I can't think of a creepy tree at the moment but it may be interesting if people stated what typre of plants in the woods they find creepy.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hammy said:
I remember this, the guys name was Barry Peter Prudom,
He was holed up in Dalby forrest.
I think they got ex SAS in to flush him out.
:rolleyes: not the SAS, they used a tracker called Eddie McGee, he's ex para.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
first of all this is a fascinating thread.

Personally i think there are several things being talked about here, the first is the fact that the brain can easily convenes itself to be scared. At night or in a dark woodland. i myself do this sometimes for fun at home on my-own, I just start creeping around acting like there could be something behind any door or something behind me and pretty soon the adrenaline starts pumping and you get a rail thrill.

The second thing is the subconscious mind doing the thinking for you, as mentioned earlier in the thread maybe there is a smell that is just to faint to register or a sound on the edge of hearing or a sound that is so pervasive that you've stopped hearing it suddenly stopping, like the sound of bird song. You're conscious brain doesn't notice and you're subconscious can't analyze it so it just gives you a amorphous warning.

And the third is the plane fact that some places are just spooky, weather in broad daylight or at midnight some places are just not nice. there is one place wear that is really noticeable near me called hope valley on the road between Shrewsbury and Bishop's Castle in Shropshire. know-one in my family likes driving through there, it just gives us the creeps. It should be quite a nice peace of native woodland but there is something about it that makes you just wont to get out the other side as quickly as possible. I also remember one time me and a friend ware kayaking around lake Bala in Wales, we needed a pee so got out at a little peace of woodland. It was quite open with lots of big trees, old oaks meanly, but just as soon as we got out the place just felt odd, so my friend went a little way in to have a pee and i just stayed by the boats. As i was waiting i started to feel worse and worse, after a cupel of minutes he came back rather quickly saying he didn't feel good and we both jumped in the kayaks and tried to get as far away as possible. It was just not nice :eek:

Oh well thats my too pennies worth.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Abbe Osram said:
yep, I do and respect my intuitions, I am not going there where it feels fishy.
Simple as that, I camp and stay where it feels good and the right place for me.
Somehow I believe that we have a sense which is more than the normal senses we are running around with. If more people would listen to their intuitions maybe they would get in less troubble.

cheers
Abbe

Totally agree with you Abbe. Quite often even in town I just get a sense to take another route and never question it if my planned path doesn't feel right anymore. It can be just temporary or it can be places that have a permanent uneasy 'feel' about them. The reasons could be different each time but if your spidey sense is tingling trust your intuition every time.

Some people with greater curiosity might venture in with an urge to determine the cause of the feeling. For me I just do what my instinct or intuition tells me to.

Excellent thread and very interesting too.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Montivagus said:
The most scared I’ve been in my life was in Manchester - running down the street to avoid the glass bottles a gang of chav scum decided to throw at me because I suggested they put them in the bin instead of smashing them on the curb and buildings nearby. :BlueTeamE
Put me in creepy woods miles from nowhere full of screaming foxes, cracking twigs and soft fluttering noises and total inner calm is mine. :)

Cant agree more, never more relaxed outside under a tarp than i am in.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I read on one of the posts about walking through woods and feeling the urge to check over your shoulder ever minute feeling someone/thing was watching down on you.

Now I'm no psychologist so am only playing guess work here, so if anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this please share it.....

I wonder how much of this feeling is instinctive of being in an unfamiliar place. Now'a'days i'm sure the boogy monster is the most scary thing in the woods in the UK but perhaps we still have a built in reaction to the unknown and that the "fear" we experiance is more of an misinterpreted addrenaline increase that we are subconsciously creating in order to be able to react to the unexpected.

Occasionally when im on my own in woods I know I feel uncomfortable from time to time, not nessecarilly because i think something is watching...that feeling often turns out to be other wildlife...but just a feeling that something is wrong but these days I now just stop take a deep breath and think to myslef to stop being daft and walk on. Looking back on it now though, the feeling only occurs when i am in an unfamiliar place where the trail in front is new and unexplored ground to me.

Does anyone know of any reasearch on these feelings of unease in woods? What happens in the brain? what chemicals are released etc. Are these comparable to any other feelings?

It obviously affects some people more than others, did these people just read more scary stories as a youngster?

Its a very interesting subject. Just wish i had more time to read about it.

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Somefolks contacted me via PM about the picture I spoke of earlier in this thread but i could not locate it..I just found it on my hard-drive this morning.......Here it is:

__hr_DCP00285Copy.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE