Creature Comforts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Is the question of the thread, at what point does Bushcraft become settling.

Is distillation, fermentation, and soap making really Bushcraft? Or are they the next steps, along the road.

The ability to make alcohol, would be vital for its presevering, and antiseptic abilities.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
A hammock, possibly out of leaf fibres (banana leaves are great) or some other type of vines.
i'd also consider a couch or armchair made from wood, stuffed with coconut husk and other assorted springyness.

a Still is just a necessity plain and simple.
ooh a TOILET! yeah something you can properly sit on and contemplate the meaning of life. save the ol knees early in the morning eh?
paper would be something but i've no idea how i'd make it, i'd have to pulp something and pressing it could be interesting, but to keep my mind active i'd draw the local wildlife using charcoal and whatever paper stuffs i can make also useful for writing your memoirs or possibly just proving how insane you are.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Sheesh, you guys are all the same. How the heck do ye ever manage to survive?

Now, for serious comforts to the survival situation you need to design a good sauna. This is absolutely vital for easing sore muscles after a day building shelters and chopping firewood and hunting meat.

Never made a sweatlodge Rivermom? Ray Mears made one on an edition of 'Tracks'
I think he gave up using them cos it made him loose too much weight.:naughty:

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Yes. Sweatlodges are the thing. I used to live right beside an ancient Sweathouse. It was a tiny beehive shaped stone building. But it had not been used in over a hundred years, and was begining to fall down.

My favourite sauna is the one you make with the pine fronds over it. And a really deep plunge pool outside.

Things to have with you on a desert island/ Survival situation/ National disaster

1/ Ray
2/ Bear
3/ Guy Greave
4/ Monica Belluci

1/ Ray; To make things for you so you can concentrate on your tan

2/ Bear; Purely for entertainment

3/ Guy; Just to have someone to say 'What the hell did you think you were doing?' to

4/ Monica; Do I need to provide a reason?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i would make some cordage for controlling the sea turtles ala captain jack sparrow, then i would make my hasty escape back to good old blighty.............hang on on second thoughts make that canada.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Things to have with you on a desert island/ Survival situation/ National disaster

1/ Ray
2/ Bear
3/ Guy Greave
4/ Monica Belluci

1/ Ray; To make things for you so you can concentrate on your tan

2/ Bear; Purely for entertainment

3/ Guy; Just to have someone to say 'What the hell did you think you were doing?' to

4/ Monica; Do I need to provide a reason?

It would NOT be a good idea to bring a bear with you. youre right though , the ensuing carnage might be entertaining:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE