Crayfish Trapping Fees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I have just received an email from the Environment Agency regarding crayfishing

I have only had a quick read, but it appears there is a proposal for charging to trap crayfish rather than getting the free license which is a bit of a shame as i dont do it that often enough to make me want to pay a fee (unless i was to start eating them ever day lol)

Screen Shot from the pdf (link below)
crays.jpg

For more info on the proposal - https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/portal/ho/fish/auths?pointId=1289476653956

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
They are best boiled in salt water with loads of dill. Together with some good ale ;)

I can catch quite a few with nothing but my hands. Quite tricky though...

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
that takes the p***! i only caught just under 200 last year, barely enough for a decent curry between me and a mate. this year i'm struggling cos of the lower water levels.
if i've got to pay 40 quid just for that then i'll have to seriously think about quitting.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
When I'm only catching 20 in a weeks fishing with 2 traps its not worth me paying. Ive already replied telling them that I disagree for personal use, but they could cover their admin fees by charging commerical users (such as restaurants). Its just not worth it and theres loads of people trapping illegally as it is which gets on my wick and more people will just do it illegally as theirs no punishment or way to track people!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
pest yes. But they don't want trapping as it cause more problems and increase the spread of both the crayfish and the fungal infection.

I think the main problem is that once you establish a system of licensed fisheries for them, it becomes in people's own interest to spread them around and introduce them into new places.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They are best boiled in salt water with loads of dill. Together with some good ale ;)...

They're really good in a Low Country Boil:

-A couple of pounds of live crawdads
-8 or 10 ears of corn
-A couple pounds of ct up spuds.

Boil enough water to cover all ingredients (don't add them yet) with a good amount (about 1/4-1/2 cup) of Cajun seasoning (Zataran's is best) When the water comes to a boil add all solid ingredients and cook for 20-30 minutes then drain and pour onto an outdoor picnic table that's been covered with old newspapers. Eat directly from the table with beer or ale of your choice.

Serves 6 women or 4 hungry men.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
does this technically apply if your using a bit of string?

No. You can do that without a license.

I tried (only once) "crabbing" for them, with no luck. The closest I got to catching a crayfish was when a lock emptied on the K&A canal and one was clinging to the upper gates. I was driving the boat....nearly managed to grab it but it just fell off in the nick of time.

Last edited:

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I caught one the other day with my hands...granted it was walking across the floor of food hall, an escapee from the wet fish stand. I was rather surprised that they had live ones though, what with all the fuss about them getting free.:confused:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I was fishing on my local canal last year and all I was catching were signals. So I took some home, put them in fresh water with some oats to purge. After a day or two they still had the black stuff in their alimentary canal so I did a Ray Mears on them and pulled the middle tail and removed the guts, boiled up and served with garlic and butter.

Tasted OK for something that lived at the bottom of a dirty old canal!!

Steve.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
well i have just left my 2 pennys worth on their website objecting to to the costs, looking through the other comments it seems everyone else has the same views.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
Id happily pay £40, considering Id be going at a min, once a month, going on past catches, reckon I could average 100 per hour,
although would be better if it was £40 just for the licence, thus allowing you to net anywhere (with owners permission) rather that what it will be, which is £40 per spot

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Do the agency presume people sell them on for a profit ?? Is there a market for them ??? What about catching zander do they charge a fee for them also or the other pest from the states the grey squirrel do you need a permit to cull them as well ?????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE