Crayfish trap.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Really said. Crayfish almost jump into traps and baited lines so why anyone would leave it there long enough for that to happen I just don't know. Fair enough they may have gone in there pretty quick but if the entrance to the trap was of or under the limit of 95mm it would have never happened.

I saw a lovely otter that had been hit by a car the other day too. We really need to take a bit more care at times.

Kris

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think this is one of the reasons we need to know how to do it properly, it stops careless attitudes or straight forward lack of knowledge.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It saddens me when I read stories like this so called hunters,trappers bushcrafters have got to keep in mind the responsibilities that go with all of the above, in this case it could have been a unfortunate accident, but rule off thumb all traps must be checked at regular intervals and all traps must conform to latest regulations and recommendations by DEFRA and the law if in doubt don't use them simple as that, trapping is far harder to monitor than a bullet as the bullet is in the now and you know there and then if you have caused a humane kill or need to follow it up to dispatch your quarry traps are totally indiscriminate and do not select species

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
very sad
i had intended to try some more traditional traps this coming winter for some wild fare but as said already its been tarred now .

back to shooting rabbit and squirrel i suppose .
ive never tried trapping and cook/eating crayfish was something i was looking forward to trying .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE