Crayfish Berkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
OK.. i got my self a couple of traps and baited them...

and nothing.....

SO i guess i am getting my dates wrong but maybe also my sites.

Any advice?

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
1. Have you licenced them?
2. What sort of bait you using?
3. Kinda the wrong time of year.
4. Where abouts do you live? Im in berkshire and Ive had lots of success crayfishing.

Heres the first part of a guide I wrote on another forum but the comments answered so many of peoples questions that I never bothered with a second part. Hope it helps http://woodlife.ning.com/forum/topics/a-quick-guide-to-crayfishing

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
1. Have you licenced them?
2. What sort of bait you using?
3. Kinda the wrong time of year.
4. Where abouts do you live? Im in berkshire and Ive had lots of success crayfishing.

Heres the first part of a guide I wrote on another forum but the comments answered so many of peoples questions that I never bothered with a second part. Hope it helps http://woodlife.ning.com/forum/topics/a-quick-guide-to-crayfishing

I tried that link, but you have to be a member...

I've only ever seen one once, clinging to the top gate of a lock on the Kennet and Avon canal as it emptied. I tried to grab it, but I was also trying to keep control of a 70 foot narrowboat at the time, and it just managed to escape! I tried "crabbing" for them with bacon on a string, but this wasn't very successful. You don't need a license to "crab" for them.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I tried that link, but you have to be a member...

I've only ever seen one once, clinging to the top gate of a lock on the Kennet and Avon canal as it emptied. I tried to grab it, but I was also trying to keep control of a 70 foot narrowboat at the time, and it just managed to escape! I tried "crabbing" for them with bacon on a string, but this wasn't very successful. You don't need a license to "crab" for them.

Correct you dont need a licence to crab for them and you can use a fishing line if you have a rod licence but to trap you need a licence which is discussed on that link. Woodlife is another really good forum (not as big as this one), not sure if im allowed to talk about it here, so could be worth joining to read it

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
(insert generic licence issues blah blah)

They'll be a bit lethargic this time of year what with the cold snap n'all, more than likely burrowed away into the banks.
Wait 'till it warms up a bit and, if you're sure they're in there, you'll get some action.
Trap placement does have a factor, some spots will provide a better bounty than others.
Bait? Some oily, smelly fish bits like mackerel takes some beating.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Thanks Guys,
Sorry b een away for a whie,

Thats is what i thuoght re to cold! I am using Fish heads etc. and live near Wokingham.

As for a license IF you can find me someone in the council who actually knows what i am talking about i will pay them my £5!

I was canoeing down the Thames a couple of summers ago and came across lots of nets just upstream from the Red Lion at Castle Eaton. Curiosity got the better of me and I hauled one net up which was pretty full, the bait were big fish heads so I'd suggest going down the fishmongers or counter at Tesco etc.
DSCF0163.jpg

Gibbo.

bobrivers

Aug 20, 2009
nowhere
Ok heres the site to apply to online https://forms.efishbusiness.co.uk/ you want an fr2 licence form.
Oh and although fish heads are good bait, supermarkets aren't allowed to sell them or give em away unfortunately. stupid as it sounds they have to bin them, but you might have a chance at the fishmonger

Yaaay I can contribute something at last, Morrisons in Woosehill sells Salmon trimmings inc heads daily, and slightly off topic, they sell Oxtail which is great, and a rare find in supermarkets round here!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE