Cray fish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I was given a few dozen cray fish at the weekend. :eek:):
Hugh Furry whippingstool gives a recipee in one of his books but anyone else got any ideas. :?:
When I got them on Saturday I put them in the freezer to kill them, I thought that was better than boiling :yikes:
Is there anything I need to look out for/ avoid when prepping or eating them

Cheers

Mark

jakunen

Native
You lucky :***: .:wink: I love them just boiled and served with butter, or shelled and served in a cream and paprika sauce with a rocquette salad and a chilled white Rioja.

Or break them up, add a little horseradish and basil and put in a raviola with a cream and lemon sauce.

BTW, what time shall I come round?:eek:):

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
MMMMMMMmmm my fave how about on the BBQ or in the embers of your fire cook em much like prawns,not to long though as they go real tough, make a pot of warm garlic butter to dip them in :tongue:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Me and my mate used to get crayfish out the river tees. Just turning over rocks and grabbing them. Never occured to us to eat them. Sometimes you'd see a little pile of crayfish shells on a stone by the water and you'd know an otter had had a meal

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Boil 'em for 4 mins, rip off the head. Don't use the head meat. Remove the ( usualy ) black intestine, crack open the claws.

For a quick meal I like them flash fried with a spot of pepper and some bacon. Other than that treat them as you would do prawn or crab meat.

I've taken to bringing a tin can brazier with me when I fish and grilling a few on charcoal. Spike them between the eyes or through the mouth before pulling apart to grill. Cook the claws until steam comes out of the top. Shell the tails and kebab them.

On a typical days fishing I'll get something like 80 out of the Blythe using just a salmon head on a piece of string and a landing net. You can't dead bait for anything in that water unless it's crayfish you're after.

Think smelly baits - if you mush up the bait in the water you'll see a long line of crayfish following the scent up to the bait.

Oneforthepot
Oneforthepot

G

Ginja

Mmm, they are delicious! Just remember fellas - crayfish are a protected species in some parts of the UK - I used to slay 'em and eat 'em by the dozen as a kid till I found out ... best check with your local warden/ranger, etc.

G

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Its just a matter of telling the difference between the endangered native crayfish and the introduced signal crawfish, which is anything but protected

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks guys, some nice ideas there.

We're planning on having them this week sometime, I'll let you know how good they are :eek:):

Cheers

Mark

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Ginja said:
Mmm, they are delicious! Just remember fellas - crayfish are a protected species in some parts of the UK - I used to slay 'em and eat 'em by the dozen as a kid till I found out ... best check with your local warden/ranger, etc.

G
Ginja any more info on how to tell the 2 apart?

please :)

Tant

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Paganwolf - look forward to it! :You_Rock_ Do they go well with wHISKYmAC? :uu:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
They were very nice btw.
Had them last night, boiled with a very garlic mao. - mmmmmm

It's not a meal you can rush though - quite fiddly really and not a huge amount of meat on each one but still very nice.

Thanks all for your sugestions :You_Rock_

Cheers

Mark

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
In the village of Saint-Jory de Chalais, Dordogne, in late August or early September (IIRR), there is the Fête de l'Ecrevisse.

More crayfish than you could shake a stick at. Though they are imported from Armenia.

But there are thousands of them.

And it's a good day out, too, if you're down that way.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE