Cranium Kuksa

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I saw this on BBC news yesterday - with the presenters suitably horrified at the prospect.

However, to our early ancestors, skull cups would have had a number of things in their favour...

Very little in the way of shaping needed to form a liquid proof vessel - certainly at a time when curved blades would have been un-heard-of. The skulls of our brother animals would have been utilised in either religious or hunting ceremonies - at the very least as a form of camouflage.

It may have been an act of the utmost repect to "drink in" the knowledge and experience of your former elders, a means of ritually perparing for the hunt / the winter / the birth - etc.

Who are we to judge them on their habits and beliefs.

Ogri the trog

Can't see the link (on my iPhone right now), but do they talk about the Swedish salutation "skål!" ?
Skål means bowl in Swedish as in raise your bowl, and the word Skål is very close to our skull. There is a legend / myth that says that the Vikings would toast their victories from the skulls of their defeated enemies.
(forgive me if I am unknowingly repeating what's in the link.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It may have been an act of the utmost repect to "drink in" the knowledge and experience of your former elders, a means of ritually perparing for the hunt / the winter / the birth - etc.

There may also have been great symbolic status to be gained by drinking from the skull(s) of one's enemies. Kitchener, apparently, considered making a drinking cup from the Mahdi's skull.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
St Teilo (sp?) has his skull in Cardiff Cathedral (I think that is right) - converted into a chalice...
It was in Oz for a while but has been returned by the "heriditry keeper"...
Said saint apears to have had 2 heads according to legend..... so that more than one church could display his sku;ll after he died!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE