Crafty Christmas gift

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So this year my oldest nephew is at an age where my brother wishes to get him out and about more.

What better way to get out and about spending time with your son than with a father/son slingshot set?

I set about the forage for forks and managed to get a nice holly fork for my brother and a small ask fork for my nephew. Whittled, snared, oiled and banded with leather tabs, paradise wrap and 1745 tubing these should offer countless hours of fun for them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1Y6WXBe

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lucky chaps. I do love presents that have thought about and love put into them rather than a trip to a store... or worse still ordered from the interweb. (Sorry to all those who do that... just my personal take) well done on all levels.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Mora make a knife with a rounded tip. In my generation, that one was usually the first proper knife our fathers gave us.

Important to teach from a young age, imo.

What are people’s thoughts on this (sorry for the thread hijack by the way). My daughter is coming up to her 7th birthday and is starting to show an interest in making things, spending time in the shed etc so the idea of making her a small fixed blade knife to learn whittling has been seeded. Part of me thinks it makes sense to make a blade with a rounded tip for safety but on the other hand is it better to start learning knife safety with a “proper” knife ( obviously given her age she’ll only get to use it under close supervision and with cut resistant gloves etc).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My thoughts = rounded tip, no protective gloves.

A cut is a great teacher, a stab can be fatal.

When children get excited once they have created something by themselves, they might want to quickly show you. Trip maybe.
Supervision is needed in the beginning, but you can not be 100% safe even then.

I think most people are living in a soft, fluffy cocoon today. I think your idea is 100% correct.

Same with making fire/ using firelightning stuff. Teach them early.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE