crafish drop nets from bike wheels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
a friend introduced me to crayfishing a few weeks back, we used his nets, one that was a home made jobby from a bicycle wheel, I liked the idea, but thought I could improve on it a little,

first I aquired a couple of old wheels
IMAG0084.jpg

then cut all the spokes out, leaving me with just the rim's
IMAG0085.jpg

then I used sparrow netting (it's handy being a full time pestie as this is free) to form a domed net by using a dustbin lid to give me a bowl shape once the net was cut to size and secured
IMAG0087.jpg

I used bond wire which is 2mm stainless (used in bird proofing) to form the four lifting wires, that stand in a pyramid shape above the net, along with an 6" peice of 1" dowel, used as a float, to keep the wires upright when submerged in the water
IMAG0090.jpg

I also took the time to apply to the EA for crayfish "tags" for my nets, thus keeping within the law
IMAG0104.jpg

the first trip out, we caught just shy of 200 crayfish in 2 hours, this time the tempreture had dropped a little, but I wanted to test the traps out, and I think we did well, considering our first trip we were using around 7 drop nets, my second trip, we used just the 2 homemade nets, and caught 84 in 1 hour
IMAG0105.jpg

keeping them in wet sacks
IMAG0106.jpg

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
so do you just keep lifting the trap out ,take off the crayfish then re-set it or is it like a lobster pot with a one way hole for them to crawl in ???

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
yup, theres a cage (bread bird feeder) attached in centre, this is filled with any smelly meat, I use rabbit, then drop the net in, lift back up in a minute or two, remove crays and drop back in, normally have the kids ready with nets, as sometimes the crays drop off net as your lifting out

check out my other post in food, for video of boiling/cooking

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
Fantastic Job, I hope your throwing back the Brits and eating the yanks!!

its rare to find both in the same place, most english ones, if found by EA are moved to safe havens, as the signals (yanks) carry a deadly fungus that kill off our native species, also when applying for the tags, you have to specify a stretch of river/stream/pond etc, using ordernance survey numbers, thus if there were any british ones in that area, you simply wouldent get issued the tags

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Thats intresting, I will look at trying this next summer. I will follow your advise and apply for tags. Whats the best water temp for them to feed?

Thanks for a great post.

Marsbar

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I love this way of catching them and for me has worked far better than putting the traps out (in my experience). a good tip for using these are getting a long stick with a V on the end so your can use to hook the cord and then pull them straight up so not to lose any crays if it starts to tilt. I usually zip tie one of those little mess bags you get in the laundry tabs pack, but think i will swap to the bird feeder as it wont get so messy after a few times out.

I have the fun of walking to the river with 4 bright pink ones as i got the wheels of the next doors girls bikes (once they out grew them, i am not that mean)

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
my "tags" of which I applied for 8, are only valid until end of this year, although I'll apply to renew, there was talk of introducing a fee, will have to wait and see, Ive just won 6 x 26" wheels from e bay, along with 6 x bread bird feeders, total amount £30, the other bits and pieces are in my shed thus giving me a total of 8 traps/nets, Ill be popping back out sometime next week, as have a few days off, so will post up the results and amounts, as for times of year/tempreture for feeding, Ive got no idea, yes you would expect more in summer time, but does coldness make them more hungary???
my friend removed 1000 in 4 days back in october (couple hours each day)

hopefully by next week, Ill have my king kooker pot too, and gas burner, and can try concocting an english version type boil lol

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
SOunds like an awesome idea !! I'll have to give this a try in the states as well. Mind if I borrow the idea ??

Well done !!

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
of course not, I posted it, hoping it would be a help to others, have always thought the usa was in front of us reguarding crayfish trapping and eating/boiling etc, and have just ordered myself a king kooker boiler from the states, as there is nothing available here in uk simular to your boiling pots, let us know how you get on over your side of the pond

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
have just bought another 6 old bike wheels and bread bird feeders from e bay, so have enough bits and pieces to make up 6 more drop nets, giving me a total of 8, hoping to pop out again next week to the same stretch of river, I'll let you know on amounts caught,

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
I'm a good ways north of cajun country and have never given this a try.. I've seen many a "bugs"(crawdads) in my local lake but never have given any thought to catching or eating any until this year..

This should be a fun winter project, with making the netting and such..

WHat size are the holes on that sparrow netting, if you don't mind my asking ??

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
the net hole is around 1/4" square, but you'll be ok using any size upto around 1" square I would think, do your vegatable dealers (greengrocers over here) do veg in green sacks, these can be used, or the sacks that you can buy commercially bred crawfish in?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
You're seriuosly infested with tose things isn't it? :D My god, I would be happy with just a 20 of those, what a feast! :) Well done, thanks!

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
well, got all the bits together today, and spent a few hours down the shed, still need to fix the lifting wires onto them, but the main work is done

these are the bird feeders that I fix in the middle of net
IMAG0113.jpg

they make a great little cage for holding the meat (bait) dont want the crayfish eating to much of it,lol

and then 6 of these,
IMAG0112.jpg

got turned into 6 of these
IMAG0115.jpg

this gives me a total of 8 drop nets, with tags from the enviromental agency, so all above board

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
So is the suet feeder(scraps feeder) just laid in the center or is it attached ?? Can't tell from the pics ...

Looks like you'll be pretty busy once you set them out, running from one to another...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE