crafish drop nets from bike wheels

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
yup, its secured to the net with 4 plastic ties, your right about keeping busy, I tend to place them around 8ft apart along the sretch of river, luckerly it has a footpath alongside so its easier to move along, then starting at the first, lift them one at a time every 90 seconds or so, probably after the 2nd or 3rd lift, all nets get slowly moved up one place, so we gradularly move upstream,

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
Great !! I'm kind of anxious now to get things rolling with mine !! I'll be giving this a shot at a couple of lakes at first.. I need to find some decent steams for trying as well...

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge !! Well done !!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those look similar (in the theory of operation) to some of the crab traps here in Florida. The ones here for crabs are a simple topless wire mesh box. You tie the bait (usually something like a chicken neck) to the floor of the box and drop it into the water. When it hits the bottom, the sides fall outward to lie flat. Wait a few minutes for crabs to crawl onto it after the bait then pull it up. That pulls the sides back up into a box and contains the crabs until you get them to the surface and put them into a bucket.

Looks like the only difference is that you're using a round shape and netting rather than a square one with wire mesh.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
spoke with the EA yesterday, their plans to start charging a fee reguarding crayfish trapping in 2012 has been scrapped:D
they will also be issuing certificates/licenses for longer than the present one year period:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE