Craeg's Sam Browne Belt - What do you think?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hiya

It has been a while but I have finally got back to making leathery things and this one was made specifically for Leonidas as he has made a bushy blank for me to trade goodjob

This Sam Browne belt was made from saddlery quality, 5mm thick 50mm wide full grain veg tan leather with all accessories made from solid brass. I also made a D ring dangler with a press-stud fixing to facilitate removal without taking off the belt:cool: All saddle stitching was made with No18 natural linen that I heavily waxed with bee's wax.

I was dyed with 3 coats off Fiebing's medium brown and the edges were dyed and Edge Koted too. Finally, I finished it off with 3 coats of RM Williams Saddle Dressing which gives a nice supple, waterproof finish.

I was considering becoming a 'maker' on here as I feel the quality of my products is getting better but want more opinion. I reckon I would sell these belts for about the £40-£50 mark? :You_Rock_

All comments welcome :)

Cheers
Craeg

P8272632-1.jpg

Stitching Detail

P8272638-1.jpg

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looks real good! Very nice design.

Notice your in huntingdon, thats so near me! (St Ives). Would you be able to knock up an axe mask for me? Or give some assistance as was gonna try to make one myself but no idea where to start!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very nice - I expected to see a shoulder strap on a Sam Browne though - as the WWI officers wore.....I thought that was the distinguishing thing abaout a Sam Browne?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
Very nice - I expected to see a shoulder strap on a Sam Browne though - as the WWI officers wore.....I thought that was the distinguishing thing abaout a Sam Browne?

Red

Just the style of the belt matey. Double buckle, stud fastener, 2in thick, etc. Capt Sam Browne invented the whole belt/shoulder strap thingy in the Raj period for himself to steady his sword after his arm was amputated in battle. It is still in use in the British Army and many armies around the world too :)

I didn't make the strap as this would be over the top and usesless really, more ornamental unless someone asks for one of course.

Craeg

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I really like your work Creag, I don't know why you would feel in any way unsure as to the quality, it looks(from the pics) very good.

I have been wondering about a Sam Browne+, instead of the cross shoulder, two shoulder straps attached by popperd loops like the one already on your belt, with buckled loops on the back to hold a rolled blanket, and a similar sized kit roll with hobo and bits tin to fill the shape out(if that makes sense).

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
I really like your work Creag, I don't know why you would feel in any way unsure as to the quality, it looks(from the pics) very good.

I have been wondering about a Sam Browne+, instead of the cross shoulder, two shoulder straps attached by popperd loops like the one already on your belt, with buckled loops on the back to hold a rolled blanket, and a similar sized kit roll with hobo and bits tin to fill the shape out(if that makes sense).

That sounds cool southey...kind of 19th webbing and you would need a yoke piece to keep the straps from falling off the shoulds I guess. Show the pics if you do it mate and I think that would be an excellent project.

Cheers
Craeg

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats the one, I was thinking bed roll with a woolbalnket and a lightweight canvas tarp, definatly with a yoke, also a flap of leather the width of the blanket and a bit more which would be rolled up above it, or unfurlled to cover it all if in heavy rain, but apart from the belt and sholder straps all light weight(as it can be) It will be a while yet as I'm only just starting to make my own leather kit. but when i get to the drawing stage i'll start a work in progress post.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
Very nice work Craeg, I think I'd go for maker status if I were you, sell just one of those and you've made your subs back and then some!

It's nice to see people NOT drilling holes for stitching too!

Go for it ;)

R.B.

Thanks RB, that's as good a recommendation as I need mate. I really enjoy punching the holes by hand and I can't imagine why you would drill a hole as that hole won't seal itself? I built a stitch horse to give me that third hand that helps when stitching so I find I am quicker now. I quite fancy buying a pricking iron but they are really expensive so that may have to wait. Do you think they are a worthwhile investment or stick with the diamond bradawl?

Leonidas very kindly offered to sell my leather goods on his website www.woodandknifesupply.com which is really cool. :You_Rock_

Cheers
Craeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE