Brown bridle leather belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Here we have another of my bridle leather belts, this time in Australian Nut (a darkish brown, with a hint of red), and a classic colour of the saddlery trade.

It's made from Baker's oak-bark tanned bridle leather (produced in their traditional tannery in Devon), roughly 4mm thick and 1.5in wide.

It's all done by hand, from cutting the strap from a bridle butt, edge dying (the leather isn't through dyed) and burnishing (pretty time consuming with about 8 feet of edge on a typical belt) through to fixing the buckle by punching the stitch holes with a diamond awl and saddle stitching the solid brass buckle with waxed brown thread. Buckle holes are punched with an oval punch, as I think the holes look nicer than round ones, and they also let the buckle tongue lie a bit flatter than in a round hole.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff :)

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thank you for all the kind compliments, particularly from some of the most excellent Makers on here! I've been inspired many times by seeing your (and others' works) on BCUK. It's a marvellous community here for showing and seeing other talents.

...and a LOT of work. If people understood how long they took, more would understand the price.

This man speaks the truth, indeed. You only need to have a look at some of the commercial sites who sell handmade Baker's and Sedgewick's bridle leather belts.

All the best.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE