Crab and prawn pots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Locky

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2010
South wales
Not too sure if this is the right section but here goes...
I have some old prawn and crab pots in my parents garage, is there a way to set them out from the shore? they are lightweight cylindrical collapsable type
possibly set them out on a very long rope when the tide starts to go out?
anyone have any experience?
cheers.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
you can walk out at low tide and stake them down with some strong metal stakes or even wooden ones or use a rope if throwing from rocks or a pier:)

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
ye make sure to secure them well.. baiting i use pair of girly tights the local fish mungers give fish guts away and some times i will mix in pilcherds out of a can.. stuff that in the tights..i get plenty from my 2 most of the time..
have fun

Locky

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2010
South wales
Angelo i see you are based in Dorset? which part? I frequent Charmouth regularly as my parents have a caravan there.
Thanks for the info both, be nice to have some fresh prawn and crab mmmmm

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Do you need a licence or anything for setting pots? - I could set some down by my parents but there are fishermen working out the bay.... wouldn't want to get in trouble :theyareon

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
Angelo i see you are based in Dorset? which part? I frequent Charmouth regularly as my parents have a caravan there.
Thanks for the info both, be nice to have some fresh prawn and crab mmmmm

im up in shaftesbury but spend lots of time around swanage on the coast..

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
Do you need a licence or anything for setting pots? - I could set some down by my parents but there are fishermen working out the bay.... wouldn't want to get in trouble :theyareon

you dont need a licence to lay pots but you will do a little research to see if any local fishermen pot that area as its a gentlemens agreement between them and most of those guys have been there for ever a family thing you dont want to pee them off or your never find your pots :)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Cool - i diddn't think there was a license needed - just had the niggle of 'quotas' niggleing at the back of my mind.

Anyways, Dad knows one of the fishermen so I'll make some enquires - may just offer my services al la the 3 hungry boys :lmao: (might have to get swmbo to stand behind me with a video camera though..... )

corkyballs

Jan 14, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Be aware that what is allowed and legal in one area may not be in another.

Check with the local SFC byelaws". Your local Sea Fisheries Committee will probably have a website with details of the byelaws for your area - try a search on "sea fisheries committee".

Be aware of minimum sizes and make sure you adhere to them. Taking undersize critters can land you in DEEP do do !

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when i was in Wales i used to do lobster potting every week if i could.

you can set pots from the shore but no more than 5 when i asked the welsh coast guard / fisheries they said label them with your tel number and address in case of a problem.
i used a line (para cord) tied to a rock and swam out with the pot as far as i thought was good.
i put rocks in to stop it washing away and used whatever bait i had. a tin of tuna or sardines is great with a tiny hole or 2 in the tin to let out the oil sent trail.
the thing you have to watch is the local fishermen they will cut lines and trash pots if they are in full view. it is there work after all and may cosider it as poching.
what i would recamend is tactical lobster potting....

good luck and good eating.........chris...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
aslo forgot to say get a local tide book about £1.50 well worth the money tells you minimum size of fish that can be taken.

when you can take them and the tide times and height which is good if your looking for razor clams. (LOW spring tides are best).......

enjoy ............

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
In Florida we tie a chicken neck to the bottom of the basket then drop them over the side of the peer or bridge. Then fish for a while. After a hour or so pull them up quickly and hope they have some crabs in them.

Oct 16, 2009
South West
I used to catch crayfish and sell them on to a wholesaler, we used to use baited nets (just the bottom cut off an old fishing keep net), crayfish would smell the meat, and walk right into the trap, after about five minuites id just pull the net up and depending on the area id have 5-10 in one catch.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I bought 2 collapsible prawn creels last year, £12 inc p+p. They're cylindrical and collapse to 15" diameter, slightly bigger than a dinner plate. http://www.fynefishing.com/multi_cylinder.htm

I've used them 4 times, have packed them in my rucksac when wandering the Scottish coast and stowed them when kayaking, and have so far caught parton crabs, 10" prawns, lobster, codling, ling and conger in them.

The lobster, although tempting, was too small to keep, so fully grown lobster is as yet an unknown. The conger was fun when sitting in a kayak and I can't say I wasn't relieved when it managed to find an exit with its tail.

All in, a good buy, as I've certainly off-set the cost with the reward of stuffing my face for very little effort.

Edit; I have both dropped them from my kayak and cast them from the shore, using para-cord as a float-line/tether. Both have worked well, although the wear on the cord from the shore can be substantial. Most successful when dropped/cast into kelp beds.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE