Covid camping....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Afternoon all.

Just wondering if anyone is aware of specific rules around camping and covid? I had thought of wild camping with wife and doggo on New Year's Eve on Dartmoor (it's about a 15min drive to the edge of Dartmoor), but it seems Devon is heading into tier 3 tonight.

I can't see much that's says about camping, other than "campsites are closed", "no overnight stays in other houses"?...

For record I'm aware of the potential seriousness of the illness... I'm just in two minds about whether it's a big deal for me to sleep in a tent one night rather than in my own bed ...:confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

It doesn't appear to me that it forbids you doing what you suggest. You would be staying within your Tier 3 area.

If it was a Tier 4 area, the wording looks like it forbids camping for a number of reasons, but Devon is going from 2 to 3. If you were not local, chances are that you would be in a T4 area, and would be restricted from travelling for a holiday.

I think the main reason authorities might be concerned is if you got yourself into difficulties and had to call for rescue. I don't know what the weather is doing down there, or how far you would be hiking in, but it doesn't seem an unreasonable concern for Dartmoor in the middle of winter.

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Yup, we (Devon) are heading into Tier 3 in about 20 mins.

Totally with you on the authorities coming to the rescue side of things! That is definitely something I don't want to be the cause of and it's something I'm keeping my eye on.

Really wouldn't be looking at heading far into Dartmoor, via the awd car (got winter tyres on - not snow tyres though), and then on foot certainly not far - I'd say under a mile or so.. It's more to have a break out of the city (Plymouth!).

As you said, it doesn't seem like there is anything that particularly says not to, I guess I could run into the police who may suggest I return from whence I came...

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Well, we've done it!

Wife, me and Doggo all up on the moors right now! It's gorgeous out here! Snow on the ground, clear skies, bright moon!

We made chili yesterday and took some of that with us!

Obviously it's only 9:20pm... Might freeze my goolies off and end up running back to the car yet!

Reactions: Spirit fish

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Feel better for it? A night out can do a lot for ones mental health. Mind and body are important IMHO.
Hahaha! Yes and no! Could do with a nice sleep now I'm back! Zzzz!

But it was great! Lovely fresh air, sleeping bag was super toasty! Views were beautiful, I'll post some pictures up at some point. V relaxing. Need to revisit all the kit we took and offload the excess, streamline it etc!

Also completely agree with the mental health side of things!

Reactions: MrEd

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes. Comfort might not be evident but the other aspects get refreshed even if you're short on sleep. My backpacking trips weren't about comfort so I didn't always sleep well but I still got thoroughly refreshed in other ways.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE