Covid-19 Travel for exercise - Reasonable distance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How far do you think is a reasonable distance to travel for exercise?

• Total voters

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Because that seems to be the term the Chinese are very intent on eradicating. Just to remember where it originates.
I see.
I think we all know where it originated and, one would hope, that once the dust settles that the Chinese government will be made accountable.

It's just that people who use phrases such as 'Wuhan flu', 'Chinese Virus', and 'Kung Flu' can often come across in an unsavory way. Whether you meant it that way or not, by using phrases like that you are aligning yourself with people who do mean it in a negative way.
It's not constructive and creates hate towards a group of people. Clearly, certain habits need to change if we are to avoid such things happening again, and that needs to be addressed.
But it would be a terrible shame if, by calling it the 'Chinese virus' etc, that perfectly innocent people of Chinese appearance in, say the UK, were racially abused and attacked because 'they caused it'.

If you want to point the finger at the Chinese government, then feel free. That has some legitimacy. But please try not to stigmatise a whole racial group. Because, whether you intend it or not (and I'm sure you don't intend it) that's how some people take it and then do go out and commit aggression against innocent people because they have been incited to it by the poorly chosen words of someone else. Witness the recent events in America to see that in practice.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
We’re any of you there when those two women were fined? As retired police officer, we are all here to put the case down, look at some of the evidence, both were holding take away drinks, were they bought locally? If not where, where do they live, close by one another, if that was the case why did they need to make that journey. So many variables, I’m sure the fine wasn’t issued lightly and were they difficult, you don’t know and that’s not necessarily meaning physical.So before we pass judgment let’s be in possession of all the facts.

As for distance, few people need to travel by car, I walk the dog around the block or walk to the local woods, my car this lock down, hasn’t done 3000miles since last March

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Out of interest, I wonder what would happen if the Police were to see someone, approach them, and question them why they were there and where they had come from, etc?
Would the Police officers, having now approached someone and caused an incident of unneccessary social interaction, be in breach? Are they allowed to break the law/guidelines/whatever they are?
Because it seems to me that a well-meaning officer (or a power-crazed little idiot getting off on wearing a uniform and badge) may have inadvertently created a situation where none previously exsited.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Out of interest, this is the latest from the British canoeing org & the government..one can go canoeing & travel to a point of entry( nearby)?
842da9270d1c6836610beb16c27a528a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
AIUI police wear masks and obey the social distancing 2m. Or is it now 1m? It's something the wider public seem unable to manage.

I think it's unhelpful to use the "power-crazed little idiot getting off on wearing a uniform and badge" comment. In this country, UK, they are basically honest people being forced to do an unpopular function in policing the lockdown. They follow procedures and policies set by others and have to interpret them to the situation on the ground. If they are later found to have got it wrong that cannot be laid at their door. That's down to politicians setting the rules and senior officers interpreting them incorrectly then passing that down the line. Without getting political it is simply not down to the officer to define the rules they're using to decide whether to fine or not. There are very few power crazed idiots in the police force, but in political spheres it's a no comment from me. Don't want to get political.

Sorry but I dislike the idea that police officers get the blame for things COVID related when they're trying to follow the rules and apply them. If we behaved ourselves and followed the spirit and letter of the rules there would be no fines.

Reactions: Toddy and Wildgoose

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
As usual, the media are always ready to report isolated incidents where things go wrong & create a polemic as it increases the price of advertising space.The best we can do is take everything we read in the tabloids (or online) or see on the box, with a pinch of salt & try to stay focused on the overall picture & keep things in perspective.. Our preconceptions & political world views tend to blurr our vision, especially in times like these..

Reactions: Toddy

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
They follow procedures and policies set by others and have to interpret them to the situation on the ground. If they are later found to have got it wrong that cannot be laid at their door. That's down to politicians setting the rules and senior officers interpreting them incorrectly then passing that down the line.

i am sure you didn't mean it that way, but isnt that the definition of an idiot.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't know what that case with the two women was but we train the police and expect them to make judgment calls. That's just what they are doing, applying rules as per their training they using judgement and experience to decide how to proceed. All judgements are not going to be made lightly because they will be subject to review later in some way. If they do get things wrong it's surely a case of to err is human. Policies made at short notice and the police are expected to receive the regulations, interpret, train officers and apply after one day. In this case the actual regulations were not published until the day after the press conference announcing the headline points.

If you call them an idiot because of their judgment call at the time based on rushed policies and regulations given at incredible short notice then I think we won't agree on that.

I think people don't like the rules of lockdown and it's often the case that they let those frustrations over the rules come out at the mistakes or errors of the police trying in good faith to police the pandemic. It's not a job I want and I doubt they want that role too. I just wish those setting the rules went out there with them to see the shoot they have to put up with.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I have never called the Police Idiots.

Well they have been apologised too, the fines withdrawn, it's been confirmed there is actually no stated distance you are allowed to travel, the drinks they had were probably bought from a garage or a McDonalds which are allowed to remain open, as long as the food is taken away.

The policies were not that different from the first lockdown, and remember this was the force that got that wrong too.

And as you say, if you accept the Police can get it wrong, then the public should not be penalised if they get it wrong,
Just an aside on this, the lockdown rules permit visits to gardens, and historic sites, yet the same Police Force were fining visitors going to Calke Abbey which meets the criteria of a Historic Site and Gardens. So it isn't just one incident, and it is understandable the public are losing faith with the Police, and thats the last thing we need in these troubled times.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
For clarity, I AM saying the Police are idiots.
On this occasion the two people have finally been let off and the Police admitted they were wrong.
The 'just obeying orders' defence is no defence at all. And anyone who thinks it is is ALSO an idiot.

The person who works on the checkout can be an occasional idiot. As can, say, a plumber or mechanic. As, indeed, can anyone who is not in a position of authority with the weight of the judiciary or other national bodies behind them. The Police whould not allow idiots to join. And if an idiot officer doesn't like being criticised for being an idiot then the idiot should look for another job. Idiots using their uniform to enforce blatantly inappropriate rules (and in this case, it was - but not always!) and defend their actions with 'that's what I've been told to do' should be called out for the idiots they are.

Reactions: Fadcode

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
that once the dust settles that the Chinese government will be made accountable.
Considering how the World has worked for the last century I think that is very unlikely.

It certainly were not the Chinese people who let aircraft fly out of Wuhan to the world when internal flights were totally forbidden and that was for two weeks, some might even consider that an actively hostile decision. But it is not so often that in any country "people" decide the government policies.

(This whole police thing has made me think again how the society works. After the few wars it was made somewhat clear that an individual soldier cannot get behind "orders", "I just followed orders" is very apparently not an acceptable excuse for a soldier doing something not-so-PC. I wonder why it is for a police officer. A standard citizen can be penalized for interpreting an ordnance but in this case a police officer apparently cannot. The fines can be revoked but ... Must be a schizophrenic feeling when walking out of the station after his shift he suddenly is responsible again.)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
just out of interest, the african guys who hijacked the tanker off the coast, will not face any charges........just as well they didn't have a cup of coffee in their hands at the time.......you couldn't make it up.

Reactions: henchy3rd

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've gone for about 30 miles cos apparently driving 30 miles whilst not sure my eyesight is good is OK with the government.
One thing though, do I have to drive towards Barnard Castle or can I drive in another direction?
Anyone?

bearbait

Here in Wales in Tier 4 we are allowed to visit a Place of Worship. Depending on where you live that could mean a drive of perhaps 40 / 50 / 60 miles or more each way to the Synagogue, or Mosque, or Mormon Chapel or other. To then congregate indoors for worship with others not of one's bubble. And maybe stopping for fuel en route.

But we, in theory, should NOT drive a couple of miles from home to hike in the open air alone, or with members of our bubble (not forgetting Dog), and being perhaps several km away from others during the whole of the hike.

For people to accept excessive constraints on their freedom at this difficult time I feel strongly that all the rules should be rational and even-handed.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Yes, we should all tip our caps to the Police and the difficult job they have to do in difficult times.
How dare anyone criticise them...
You mean they have to eat as well? Shocking behaviour

I doubt any of the high quality news sites bothered to ask, but it’s possible that if the local station has no canteen there’s an agreement to allow officers to eat.
A place I worked used to do that.

if they were nurses or soldiers would it have been an issue?

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Anybody can exercise in their own locality, even if you live in a town.
Many people exercised quite happily in gyms four grey walls for years prior to all this. So if you were happy doing that, what is wrong with doing something inside your own walls.exercise on your local streets is still exercise.
One simply does not have to drive miles to get it.

I bumped into( not literally!) A couple in hiking gear today when I went out for milk, and asked them where they were from.
They had driven about 25 miles to come for their exercise, and queuing up to enter our local shop to get shopping, as it was easier and quieter than their local tesco.
Their local area has many areas including beaches to exercise in.
Selfish ********

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE