Course recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi all, hoping you can advise...

Its my 30th birthday THIS year in April (got to get use to writing that along with 2007 now!) and I wanted to do something I wouldn't normally have the time or money to do and my wife is going to get the family to chip in and I was hoping to do my first bushcraft course.

Can anyone recommend a fairly entry level course that I am likely to be able to get a place on in April onwards this year that is within a reasonable driving distance of Kent or even better in Kent itself?

I looked at the Raymears one and its fully booked til next year (2008!)...

Any recommendations appreciated, especially if you can supply a link to a website giving it the run down and the cost involved.

Cheers
Geoff

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
There are a lot of very good schools out there, there is a list on the BCUK frontpage.
Another option is to go along to Wilderness Gathering in September. A lot of the schools "show-case" there, the two mentioned by Pete and many others- Bushcraft Expeditions,Woodland Survival Crafts, Backwoods Survival, Survival School, Bison Bushcraft (who I work for), Dryad Survival, Islay Bushcraft, etc, etc.
At this event you can meet the instructors, see them at work and get a "feel" for them.
Hope this helps
Neil

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Thanks for the suggestions. Forest Knights and Bearclaw both sound great and are reasonably close by.

The bushcraft canoe course really caught my eye, but I'd like to do something more fully bushcraft orientated and hope to pic up more land based skills as much as I'd love to go paddling for a weekend!

NaturalLaw looks good to and is very reasonably priced, but appears to be more day course orientated and I'd like to do a whole weekend type thing. Does Fenlander run the courses on NaturalLaw then?

Gonna be hard choosing between the two, but they both really good so I will have to find out what dates are available and check with my mate who wants to come along for 'the experience' :)

If anyone knows any others they want to add then please do, but all the above are near enough to me and reasonably priced enough that I will happily go with one of those.

Can anyone talk from personal experience of the above and what it was really like and what was learnt?

Cheers
Geoff

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Mate I have been on the "green horn " course that Gary runs at Bearclaw bushcraft. AMAZING!!!! That about sums up my experiance. We started of with a welcome and safety speach then bedded down for the night. After breakfast, we covered some knife, axe and saw stuff berore embarking on our very own spoons. Then some fire stuff some sheltor building and some safe water stuff. All was great, Gary and JP are a great pair and very knowlagable. Very easy to get on with.

Gary dosnt mention this much but he used to work for Ray Mears at Woodlore.

More recently Bearclaw arranged my stag do :beerchug: and are running a weekend for my explorer scouts. I have found them to be very easy to deal with. , and great fun.

Please remember that these are just MY VIEWS...and I dont work for them blah blah....

willowherb

Nov 12, 2006
peebles
check out tamarak
they are great.i went on a course in scotland with them and we had a great time
run by a great guy called mike

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm glad this thread got started, I've been thinkin I should go on a bushcraft course to see how people teach things! I guess I'm looking more to those in the southwest since that's where I am :D

funding is one reason that I haven't got around to going on any. maybe I will have to negotiate a skills swap ;)

Good luck with your search for courses to go on this year Geoff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE