Course Advice

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Next year I'm looking at adding tracking and axe skills to what I am learning. I'd like to go on a course to start learning the basics - so that I perhaps don't lop a hand off or something worse...

Any suggestions on courses in the south (south west would be nice) to attend? I'm also open to offers from anybody who's just a member here who could help.

Thanks

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I did Woodlore's Woodsense course about 3 or 4 years ago. First 2 or 3 days were good but then it deteriorated in my opinion so that I left feeling somewhat disappointed at the end of the week.

Did Woodsmoke's Axe course and I'd highly recommend that.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i'm kind of the opposite to slamdunk - i thought the Woodlore woodsense course became excellent from being a tad low level.
Its a very tough subject 'awareness' because its such a large subject to cover in one week. For the money you have to ask yourself - could i just take a week or 2 off work with some kit and go and learn this myself?
I'd say the guys try to get you on the right path, make you much more observant and light a fire under you, but only if you want them too - they'll just go through the motions if you arent bothered.
I was amazed at the people that were there that didn't put in the effort though, you arent going to get it handed to you on a plate, as with anything worthwhile in life.
I have to say I'm sad to see that Juha isnt part of the team anymore, he was particularly good.
Get Bob Carss tracking book (not 'tracking and navigation') - its the bible of tracking. love it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE