Coup de grace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Having read several threads on various forums, I've come to the conclusion that for a mammal (eg rabbit) the best way of performing the Coup de grace is; 1) hit it on the neck where the head joins the neck, then 2) neck it (ie hold it in one hand and using the other hand push the head back).

This gives an unconsious animal a quick end rather than effectively suffocating.

What are your thoughts?

The reason I ask is that I will be teaching this in a few weeks time and wondered what the collective wisdom is, so all responses welcome.

Thanks

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Blimey.
I'd like to think someone instructing would have been able to answer that question themselves, sounds like you've never even done it?
Since you ask...
Bunnies, neck dislocation every time. Pull and twist.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Blimey.
I'd like to think someone instructing would have been able to answer that question themselves.....

Absolutely. Anyone not familiar with the act should certainly not be teaching it. This is something you have to be knowledgable about and confident and proficient doing, before you even consider teaching it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of ways I've been shown are either, one hand round the neck and the other on the back legs with a sharp tug to break the spinal cord. I've never actually tried it though for fear of getting it wrong and causing more suffering. The method that's become second nature to me is again holding the back legs in one hand, but then turn your other hand upside down ad grasp the back of the neck so your palm is facing the head. The in one movement lift the back end up whilst pressing against the back of the neck in a downward direction, trying to get the chin up but neck down.

Not sure if that makes sense as it hard to describe in words. Not sure if they're the most humane ways either but I got showed them very young by a family friend and they've just stuck.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well Gents at least this Guy is open and honest enought to be asking for Guidance ( I thought this forum was all for that , open exchange of information.) , he could have gone off and taught a half-cocked method that doesn't get the job done the 1st time if he hadn't asked.
Yes I would have thought at the point of giving Instruction he should know this and to be fair his initial statement indicates that he does , he is just asking for clarification and thoughts , not judgements.

From my view , I'd rather he asked and knew then didn't ask and dispatched and animal in a half-**** manner.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Advice?... get professional advice and tuition before even thinking about teaching something like that. Not forum advice though, but one to one tuition.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hitting it on the neck will not 'stun' it.... it will only delay the process.

If you would like two very quick and effective methods of dispatching rabbits (each game type has their own method) feel free to pm as its not a subject i wiish to discuss on open forums due to the nature of the topic.

I have been hunting 23 years, and served a three year's apprenticeship in the highlands of scotland as both a gamekeepers assistant, and ghillie's assistant.

I never consider to be any kind of expert in anything, but both are very quick (seconds at best) and do the job.

And i would still highly advise a professional showing you at-least once, with you copying suit to a proficient level.

I think we owe our quarry at-least that.

TBL.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I think it might be a little tricky to teach pupils how to dispatch game (subject rabbits) if it is 'no more'

Not to mention the lack of guns...

With best intentions.

TBL.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Link Removed by Moderator! royal marine recruits being shown how to kill, prepare and cook rabbits and chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've removed the youtube link in the above post as it was demonstrating exactly the method that has been dismissed earlier in this thread.

Chris, I believe the replies so far have given you an indication of the methods that would be considered suitable. What it boils down to is that you are making a discission to end a life, hence it is up to you to do it in the most effective & efficient manner possible - you impose a "humane" end to a fellow creature.
Before teaching the method to anyone else, you really should have some experience of it and be able to justify every part of the process to your students. Practice on shot animals if you are unsure.

Ogri the trog

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
I've removed the youtube link in the above post as it was demonstrating exactly the method that has been dismissed earlier in this thread.

Ogri the trog

oops sorry :) seemed pretty effective to me, but hey ho that'll teach me to read stuff properly early in the morning!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
oops sorry :) seemed pretty effective to me, but hey ho that'll teach me to read stuff properly early in the morning!

M.durston, Please don't take its removal in the wrong way, it showed a technique that CAN be effective when carried out with commitment and purpose - however, I have often come across people who don't realise the amount of strength it takes and set about it with a half hearted "Karate chop!". The consequences of which can range from injured quarry escaping from the hands to the hapless hunter getting cuts to the palm of their hand from holding the animal the wrong way and catching its teeth on the side of their hand!

ATB

Ogri the trog

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
hapless hunter getting cuts to the palm of their hand from holding the animal the wrong way and catching its teeth on the side of their hand!

Ogri the trog

my usual explanation for little cuts on the hand are 'caught it on my knife' i dread the day i turn round and say ' erm actually a rabbit bit me when i tried to kill it' lol

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
.. and it brings a whole load of health worries if you later find the coney to be in the early stages of Myxi, Tulamaria (sp) or Rabbit Heamoragic Disease or even one of the lesser diseases rabbits can get.

Ogri the trog

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
In response to a rather heated and impolite selection of responses;
1) I'm conversant and proficient in several ways of dispatching rabbits thanks.
2) I have already undertaken significant research into how it should be done best.
3) For those of you who think that stretching is best, think about Christopher Reeve; neck broken but still very much alive thanks to a ventilator (I ralise that he is no longer with us).
4) Always assume that someone knows more than you do; hence the reason I was asking the forum members.

Chris.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In response to a rather heated and impolite selection of responses;
1) I'm conversant and proficient in several ways of dispatching rabbits thanks.
2) I have already undertaken significant research into how it should be done best.
3) For those of you who think that stretching is best, think about Christopher Reeve; neck broken but still very much alive thanks to a ventilator (I ralise that he is no longer with us).
4) Always assume that someone knows more than you do; hence the reason I was asking the forum members.

Chris.

Apologies. Although, to be fair, your original post didn't come over very well at all with the fact that you knew what you were doing and had experience, in fact quite the opposite. That's why you got the responses you did.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
As Jonathan says your question distinctly gave the impression that you were only familiar with these techniques from what you've read, given I'm far from the only one that thought that I don't think I've jumped to any rash conclusions.
Given your response on the neck stretching I can only assume you've never done it or seen it done properly. It is by far the quickest and least likely to go wrong method I know of. Oh, and not a single bunny has ever trundled off in a wheelchair and campaigned for stem cell research after I've used that method.
;)

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I have to agree with Jonathon in that the original post gave the impression that the OP was not experienced.

He stated that he had already come to the conclusion that the best method would be to 'karate chop' it first and then to neck it, which to me shows inexperience.

I've seen quite a few folks being taught to kill small mammals and most cannot actually do it when they have a live animal in their hands.

Properly done a stretched rabbit having it's neck dislocated is as instant as it gets. (I believe Superman fell from a horse?) I would also bear in mind the RSPCA view on humane killing. Anything other then a single act would raise their hackles!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE