Coup de grace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I too think the neck stretch is the better, I hold the bunny in my left hand like a cat holding its rear legs underneath, then hold its head with my right so its the top of its head is in the palm of my hand with my fingers curled down the back of his head and underneath then firmly and in a controlled way pull his head toward the ground keeping his legs around chest height and pushing my palm with his head in the same orientation toward the floor, don't do it fast but have a sense of urgency about it, i have never had any issues with this technique, very consistent dispatch,

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Taken from a website in reference to human spinal injury, but basically the same;
"If the spinal cord is bruised or partially damaged due to swelling or laceration, then quadriplegia or other neurological problems may occur. If the spinal cord is severely injured and this injury is at or above the fifth cervical vertebra (C5), then breathing may be effected and the person may die from asphyxiation. In order to help someone breath, a hole is cut into the windpipe (trachea), and a tube inserted which is connected to a ventilator to supply the lungs with oxygen.

The portion of the cord that controls breathing via the diaphram is about C3 through C5. If the damage is below C6, then paralysis may occur, but breathing would be left intact although at a reduced capacity."

I stand by my belief that a a blow to the back of the scull to render it unconsious followed by severing of the spinal cord high up the spine is the most humane way of dispatch. If it were me, I'd rather not know about it, rather than being aware that I was about to die due to asphyxiation.

I don't doubt that people have sucessful results, but I remain of the opining that being unaware and dying is preferable to being aware of dying.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Taken from a website in reference to human spinal injury, but basically the same;
"If the spinal cord is bruised or partially damaged due to swelling or laceration, then quadriplegia or other neurological problems may occur. If the spinal cord is severely injured and this injury is at or above the fifth cervical vertebra (C5), then breathing may be effected and the person may die from asphyxiation. In order to help someone breath, a hole is cut into the windpipe (trachea), and a tube inserted which is connected to a ventilator to supply the lungs with oxygen.

The portion of the cord that controls breathing via the diaphram is about C3 through C5. If the damage is below C6, then paralysis may occur, but breathing would be left intact although at a reduced capacity."

I stand by my belief that a a blow to the back of the scull to render it unconsious followed by severing of the spinal cord high up the spine is the most humane way of dispatch. If it were me, I'd rather not know about it, rather than being aware that I was about to die due to asphyxiation.

I don't doubt that people have sucessful results, but I remain of the opining that being unaware and dying is preferable to being aware of dying.

they don't know anything about it the way i do it is hold the rabbits back legs in my right hand then with my left hand thumb and forefinger around the neck and the head in my left palm push the head firmly down whilst trying to touch its nose to its back. if you do this then the rabbit dies within an instant as you dislocate the cervical vertebrae and sever, not damage, the spinal cord; no signals from brain to the rest of the body rabbit dies instantly.
there's no reason your method wouldn't work but it seems to me to be dragging the process out unneccessarily there's no nead to whack it on the head first

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
conscious or no you are still killing it,if you are doing it correctly with determination, how can you be sure that the blow to the back of the head renders it unconscious for the length of time you take to stretch its neck,

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Confirms for me that you've never seen it done.
That cut and paste cobblers bears no relation to the despatch of a bunny by an experienced hand, there's no fuss, no drama and as instant a death as possible.
Compare that to the other method you talk of? No comparison.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Confirms for me that you've never seen it done.
That cut and paste cobblers bears no relation to the despatch of a bunny by an experienced hand, there's no fuss, no drama and as instant a death as possible.
Compare that to the other method you talk of? No comparison.

Agreed - I have seen several people fail to 'karate chop' first time a struggling bunny. As stated the method is fully controlled and as near as dammit immediate.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
i spent three years living in the highlands of scotland.......a couple of miles south of john o groats and caught on average 30 rabbits a day every time i went out.the chop to the back of the neck is in my opinion not a very humane method of dispatch, and furthermore usually results in bruised meat. stretching the neck using the hands can also be rather lengthy for my taste. my preferred method is to take the rabbit from the dog or the purse net and holding it by the back legs lower the rabbit to the ground and gently but firmly put its head under one of your feet and pull upwards.this has, for me at least always resulted in a very quick and humane death.
as regards checking for the extinction of life may i suggest touching the rabbits eye as blinking is a reflex response, no response no life.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i shoot all the time and when finishing a small animal id use the neck strech every time.

i just hold the back legs in my left hand and lay the animal belly down on my leg, with my right hand i make the v sign and place it over the back of the neck. in a twisting away and pushing down motion i break the neck. just to make sure i feel the neck and ensure the spinal cord is severed.......

regards.....

chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE