Country vegetable soup with Gammon.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Sounds good in this never-ending cold weather. Since I work for a Swedish company, I would stick with pea & ham soup, with pancakes, cream and jam for lunch. But only on a Thursday :) ...And not in the same bowl. :p

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sounds good in this never-ending cold weather. Since I work for a Swedish company, I would stick with pea & ham soup, with pancakes, cream and jam for lunch. But only on a Thursday :) ...And not in the same bowl. :p

That zveggie soup looks delicious, but you suggestion even more so!
Have the tried the Skåne version?
In addition to what you mention, we serve steamed white sausage, boiled bacon and such.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
That zveggie soup looks delicious, but you suggestion even more so!
Have the tried the Skåne version?
In addition to what you mention, we serve steamed white sausage, boiled bacon and such.

Never tried that Janne, but the 'usual' Ärtsoppa med pannkakor is more than a challenge for lunchtime :)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I've been asked by Tonyuk for the recipe.. so here it is folks :)

This recipe makes 5-6 litre pan of soup.

1, Soak in a bowl of water over night 250g.. half a bag of country soup mix.
2, Put a large joint of gammon or 2-3 ham hocks in a large pan of cold water.. bring to boil then turn down to simmer with lid on.. for 1 to 1/half hours depending on size.. you'll know when it's cooked.. when you can stick a knife in.. pulls out easily.
3, Remove gammon from pan.. rap in foil.. place aside to cool.
4, Rinse country soup mix in pan.. till water runs clear.. then add to gammon stock and simmer it.. whist you prep veg.
5, Prep veg.. wash 2-3 leeks and slice up add to gammon stock.. i add 4-5 large carrots.. half a turnip.. 2-3 parsnips.. 2 average size potatos.. these veg's can be shredded in food processor.. grated or small diced by hand.. you can add other root veg or what ever you like.
6, Add all prepped veg to pan of gammon stock.. till all veg cooks down around 2 hours on a lowish heat.. watch it does not boil over.. stirring occasionally.. season with salt and pepper.
7, when soup has cooked.. add cut up gammon to soup.. best left over night for flavor to intensify.. but once soup has cooled down.. next day it MUST be kept in fridge and consumed within a week.

Just to add.. don't add to to much salt.. taste stock first.. as stock can be quite salty esp when using ham hocks.

There it is folks.. enjoy with crusty bread or rolls :)

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've been asked by Tonyuk for the recipe.. so here it is folks :)

This recipe makes 5-6 litre pan of soup.

1, Soak in a bowl of water over night 250g.. half a bag of country soup mix.
2, Put a large joint of gammon or 2-3 ham hocks in a large pan of cold water.. bring to boil then turn down to simmer with lid on.. for 1 to 1/half hours depending on size.. you'll know when it's cooked.. when you can stick a knife in.. pulls out easily.
3, Remove gammon from pan.. rap in foil.. place aside to cool.
4, Rinse country soup mix in pan.. till water runs clear.. then add to gammon stock and simmer it.. whist you prep veg.
5, Prep veg.. wash 2-3 leeks and slice up add to gammon stock.. i add 4-5 large carrots.. half a turnip.. 2-3 parsnips.. 2 average size potatos.. these veg's can be shredded in food processor.. grated or small diced by hand.. you can add other root veg or what ever you like.
6, Add all prepped veg to pan of gammon stock.. till all veg cooks down around 2 hours on a lowish heat.. watch it does not boil over.. stirring occasionally.. season with salt and pepper.
7, when soup has cooked.. add cut up gammon to soup.. best left over night for flavor to intensify.. but once soup has cooled down.. next day it MUST be kept in fridge and consumed within a week.

Just to add.. don't add to to much salt.. taste stock first.. as stock can be quite salty esp when using ham hocks.

There it is folks.. enjoy with crusty bread or rolls :)

Excellent thanks for that :D . Definitely one to try this weekend since its meant to be getting colder up here (typical).

Tonyuk

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Excellent thanks for that :D . Definitely one to try this weekend since its meant to be getting colder up here (typical).

Tonyuk

No probs Tony.. it deffo warms ya up on a cold day.. it's easily doable on a campfire to.. for folks on a meet :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE