Country skills and objects...Number 4

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
trying to get me head round this.........he ties his onions up in a privy, makes sure the heads are pointing down to get the best harvest from his seed, then sharpens his tool...............country folk !! who'd have 'em ?

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Onions! Thats the secret for a rusty saw - rub the saw with half the onion, leave it overnight and then rub it with the other half in the morning - nice and shiney

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
trying to get me head round this.........he ties his onions up in a privy, makes sure the heads are pointing down to get the best harvest from his seed, then sharpens his tool...............country folk !! who'd have 'em ?

Indeed :)

Well - we are about preserving the old skills are we not?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a 3ft crosscut saw, one or two man, by E.Garlic and Son. :)

So i've kinda got 3 out of your 3 Red, can i call myself a country bloke now? :D

Annd we have a winner!!!

Its a set Jig for very large crosscut saws. Most saw sets (before saws were disposable) were pliers type arrangements used for adjusting the small teeth on panel saws, tenon saws etc. This brute adjusts the set (angle) of teeth over an inch long, by putting the saw into the jig, adjusting the desired angle by sliding the T piece and then striking the lever with an 8 ounce hammer.

The other tool shown is a jointer for a large saw. Used with a file it ensures all teeth are a uniform height.

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Only if you promise to wear a proper flat cap.....

Yeah you are in the inner sanctum! - I'll teach you the funny handshake too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE